Convex Subsets of Ordered Sets: Interval or Ray in Topology?

• Thread starter Ka Yan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the discussion is about whether a proper subset of an ordered set, Y, that is convex in the set X, is necessarily an interval or a ray in X. The individual attempting the solution initially believes this to be true, but then questions if it holds for empty sets or single point sets. The importance of X being an ordered set is noted.
Ka Yan

Homework Statement

Let X be an ordered set. If Y is a proper subset of X that is convex in X, does it follow that Y is an interval or a ray in X?

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered it to be yes.

Since in the ordinary situation, the assertion is obviously valid: check out the real line or the complex plane with dictionary order, in case of Y is not empty.

But I wonder if it holds when Y is an empty set or a set with only a single point.
And besides, I'm not quite sure with my own judgement, since I didn't think of any special situation (if any).

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by looking at the definitions of "interval" and "ray" in X. Then look at the definition of Y being convex in X; does this imply it's an interval or a ray?

The "X is an ordered set" is important here! That should certainly be considered in the definition of "interval" and "ray".

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of geometric shapes and spaces. It is concerned with the study of continuous transformations, such as stretching and bending, that do not alter the basic structure of an object.

2. How is topology used in science?

Topology plays a crucial role in many scientific disciplines, including physics, biology, and computer science. It is used to analyze and model complex systems, understand the behavior of networks and circuits, and study the properties of space and time.

3. What are the main concepts in topology?

The main concepts in topology include continuity, connectedness, compactness, and convergence. Continuity refers to the idea that small changes in one part of a system do not significantly affect other parts. Connectedness describes the idea that objects are joined or linked together. Compactness refers to the notion that a space is small or tightly packed. Convergence refers to the idea that a sequence of points or functions approaches a limit.

4. What are the different types of topologies?

There are several types of topologies, including point-set topology, algebraic topology, and differential topology. Point-set topology studies the properties of spaces that are defined purely in terms of points and their relationships. Algebraic topology uses algebraic tools to study topological spaces. Differential topology is concerned with the study of smooth surfaces and manifolds.

5. Why is topology important in understanding the universe?

Topology is important in understanding the universe because it provides a framework for studying the shape and structure of space and the relationships between objects in the universe. It also allows scientists to make predictions and test theories about the behavior of the universe on a large scale.