Electric Field Effect on Water

In summary, an electric field will cause the dipole moments of water molecules to polarize and this will affect their interaction energy.
Daniel_H_S
I'm trying to calculate the attractive force between two Water Molecules under the effect of an Electric field and I'm completely stumped. Its part of a research project I'm doing at my new work, I'm sure I'm just forgetting a formula for it from somewhere, I'm sure I remember covering this sort of effect at uni. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try modeling each molecule as a dipole.

as manchot said, water molecules can be approximated (to fairly good accuracy) as dipoles.

The electric field will of course exert no net force on a water molecule; so i assume you mean the force between water molecules after they have all been aligned? If so, this will turn into a n-body problem (of sorts)... i think the details of your situation are pretty important.

Pure water normally has molecules that contain 1 through 9 or more H2O units. A small electric field does not influence the number of H2O units in a molecule.

Normally, an electric field is used to cause oxidation / reduction reactions of stuff within water, for example: electrolytic coating and galvanic cell processes. Pure water is dielectric material. Ionization energy applies to a single H2O.

Perhaps if you provide more detail as 'attractive force', someone can provide a less nebulous response.

It is not a trivial problem. An electric field will polarize the molecules, changing their dipole moment and also orienting it. To find the interaction energy you need to know the polarizability of a water molecule in vacuum (a 3d tensor) and also you need to know the polarization of your electric field. Once you knwo this you will need to asume a geometry for the water molecules and then you can calculate it. a dime of waters (2 water molecules in an optimal configuration) in vacuum has an interaction energy of the order of 250 meV. This is the energy o a hydrogen bond. An electric field polarized in the direction of the Hbond will make this interaction stronger (how much, this depends on the polarizability (alpha) and on the electric field). Polarized perpendicular to the Hbond direction will make the Hbond weaker. Again, how much it depends on those two quantities.

Hope this helps!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It exerts a force on other charged particles or objects within its range, causing them to either attract or repel each other.

2. How does an electric field affect water?

When an electric field is applied to water, it causes the water molecules to align themselves with the direction of the field. This alignment can lead to changes in the physical properties of the water, such as its surface tension and boiling point.

3. Can an electric field purify water?

Yes, an electric field can be used to purify water through a process called electrodialysis. This method uses an electric field to separate particles and impurities from the water, resulting in a cleaner and safer drinking water.

4. What are the potential health effects of drinking electrically treated water?

The health effects of drinking electrically treated water are still being studied and are not yet fully understood. Some studies have shown that electrically treated water may have beneficial effects on the body, while others have suggested potential risks, such as changes in the structure of water molecules and increased acidity.

5. Can an electric field be used to change the taste of water?

Yes, an electric field can alter the taste of water by changing its physical properties. For example, by applying an electric field, the surface tension of water can be reduced, resulting in a smoother and less bitter taste. However, the taste change may not be noticeable to everyone and can vary depending on the strength and duration of the electric field.