Help with 3D matrix, 3D spreadsheet.

• Thread starter litup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Matrix
In summary, the conversation is about how to program a 3D matrix or spreadsheet for a computer game. The speaker is not a programmer but has some experience in VB and other calculators. They are looking for advice on how to create a 3D display on a 2D screen and how to rotate the playing space in the game. The suggestion is made to look for source code for a 3D tic-tac-toe program and the question of using HDF files is brought up. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for clarification on HDF files.
litup
I have been told something like a 3D spreadsheet is difficult to program.
I am developing a computer game that requires a 3d matrix, like a 3d spreadsheet, so you have X, Y, and Z co-ordinates. The action would be at these intersections, where one XYZ would be one color, say a small sphere placed there, glowing blue and other XYZ's with small spheres glowing red, and they can be turned off an on in either color depending on the moves of the game.
Can anyone tell me how to do such a thing? I am not a programmer, only a bit of VB and HP48 and casio programmable calculator stuff. The matrix size would be under 20X20X20 so it's not like an infinite thing at all. Thanks in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
Maybe you could find source code to a 3d tic-tac-toe program, and start from there. The 3D difficulty is mainly an issue for how to display a 3D matrix on a 2D screen, and have the result be reasonably understandable, especially with 20x20x20 cubes.

Isn't this the reason for HDF files?

What are HDF files? BTW in my game, I want to be able to rotate the playing space around in any direction so you can view what's going on in the game.

litup said:
What are HDF files?

http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/whatishdf5.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 3D matrix and 3D spreadsheet?

A 3D matrix is a data structure that has rows, columns, and layers. It can be thought of as a stack of 2D matrices. A 3D spreadsheet is a software tool that allows users to input and manipulate data in a 3D matrix format.

2. How is a 3D matrix different from a regular matrix or spreadsheet?

A regular matrix or spreadsheet only has rows and columns, while a 3D matrix has an additional layer dimension. This allows for more complex data structures and analysis.

3. What types of data can be stored in a 3D matrix or spreadsheet?

A 3D matrix or spreadsheet can store any type of data, including numerical, textual, and categorical. It can also store formulas and functions for data analysis.

4. How can a 3D matrix or spreadsheet be useful in scientific research?

A 3D matrix or spreadsheet can be useful in scientific research for organizing and analyzing complex data sets. It can also be used for visualizing data in multiple dimensions, allowing for a better understanding of relationships and patterns.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when working with 3D matrices or spreadsheets?

One limitation of 3D matrices or spreadsheets is that they can become large and complex, making it difficult to navigate and analyze the data. Additionally, not all software programs may support 3D matrices or spreadsheets, limiting their usability.