Definite integral involving base e and square root of variable as exponent

In summary, a definite integral involving base e and square root of variable as exponent is an integral with a specific starting and ending point, where the integrand contains the natural logarithmic constant e and the variable is raised to the power of one-half. To solve it, one can use integration by parts or substitution and then use the fundamental theorem of calculus. The significance of using base e in a definite integral lies in its unique properties and ability to simplify calculations. A definite integral can have a negative value if the integrand or function being integrated has negative values or areas. Real-world applications of definite integrals involving base e and square root of variable as exponent can be found in physics, engineering, finance, and statistics.
phyzmatix

Homework Statement

Calculate

[tex]\int_{0}^{4}\sqrt{x} e^{\sqrt{x})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried substitution, but this didn't bring me anywhere since the integral is not of the form

[tex]\int f(g(x))g'(x)[/tex]

My attempt at integration by parts also leads to an endless loop. I used

[tex]u = e^{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Please give me some pointers here. I know I didn't include a whole attempt at a solution, but it's only to save myself some time with the typing (latex is still slow-going). However, if you really need me to include all I've done, I can do so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use substitution, u=Sqrt[x], du=1/(2Sqrt[x])dx so 2u du=dx.
Hope that helps.

I didn't work this out so I may be pointing you in the wrong direction. But what if you write the integrand as
[tex]\sqrt{x} e^{\sqrt{x}} \propto x \frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx} e^{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

gamesguru said:
Use substitution, u=Sqrt[x], du=1/(2Sqrt[x])dx so 2u du=dx.
Hope that helps.

Thanks gamesguru, but unless I'm doing something wrong, this doesn't seem to bring me any closer to the answer.

CompuChip said:
I didn't work this out so I may be pointing you in the wrong direction. But what if you write the integrand as
[tex]\sqrt{x} e^{\sqrt{x}} \propto x \frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx} e^{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Hi CompuChip. Sorry, but I have no idea what this is that you've just done here :redface: Would you mind explaining?

EDIT: I just noticed that I forgot the "dx" in the OP. Sorry.

phyzmatix said:
Hi CompuChip. Sorry, but I have no idea what this is that you've just done here :redface: Would you mind explaining?
I've just rewritten the thing under the integral sign as a product of a (simple) function of x and a derivative w.r.t. x. If you work out the right hand side you'll see you get the original question back, maybe up to some numeric factors. Then you can try partial integration, which will move the d/dx to the x so maybe it becomes simpler. I don't know if it would help though, I think you'd still have to do [tex]\int e^{\sqrt{x}} \, \mathrm dx[/tex] in the end.

If you use my substitution, [itex]u=\sqrt{x}, 2u du=dx[/itex] then the integral becomes:
[tex]\int \sqrt{x}e^{\sqrt{x}}dx=\int u e^u 2u du=2\int u^2 e^u du[/tex].
Use integration by parts now, differentiate [itex]u^2[/itex] and integrate [itex]e^u du[/itex].
If you do the integration by parts correctly you get the final answer,
[tex]2e^{\sqrt{x}}(x-2\sqrt{x}+2)[/tex].
Hopefully you get the same thing.

CompuChip said:
I've just rewritten the thing under the integral sign as a product of a (simple) function of x and a derivative w.r.t. x. If you work out the right hand side you'll see you get the original question back, maybe up to some numeric factors. Then you can try partial integration, which will move the d/dx to the x so maybe it becomes simpler. I don't know if it would help though, I think you'd still have to do [tex]\int e^{\sqrt{x}} \, \mathrm dx[/tex] in the end.

I'm starting to wonder if there is perhaps a typing error in the question. What makes me wonder even more is that the question only counts 5 marks, so it probably isn't supposed to be a huge calculation. Or is that a dangerous assumption to make and first year Calculus really is supposed to be this tricky?

gamesguru said:
If you use my substitution, [itex]u=\sqrt{x}, 2u du=dx[/itex] then the integral becomes:
[tex]\int \sqrt{x}e^{\sqrt{x}}dx=\int u e^u 2u du=2\int u^2 e^u du[/tex].
Use integration by parts now, differentiate [itex]u^2[/itex] and integrate [itex]e^u du[/itex].
If you do the integration by parts correctly you get the final answer,
[tex]2e^{\sqrt{x}}(x-2\sqrt{x}+2)[/tex].
Hopefully you get the same thing.

Oh, ok, I see now. I'm going to give that a go. Ridiculous as this sounds, I wasn't sure if I could combine the two approaches and typically, on hindsight, it suddenly seems the logical thing to do :smile:

gamesguru, using your proposed substitution, I get

[tex]u = \sqrt{x}, 2\sqrt{x}du = dx[/tex]

as you obviously did, however, I'm struggling to convince myself that it's mathematically correct to substitute into the substitution, i.e. to write

[tex]2\sqrt{x}du = dx[/tex]

as

[tex]2udu = dx[/tex]

I'm sorry if I'm being irritating, but I really want to understand this and how it works.

Of course that's correct- it's just algebra.

HallsofIvy said:
Of course that's correct- it's just algebra.

Thank you for your input. I just wanted confirmation since I didn't find any examples in my textbook or study guide that did the same, which caused some doubt (I'm studying through a distance learning university, so I'm very reliant on examples as a means of explanation and to determine what's allowed and what isn't).

Thanks again!

Last edited:
phyzmatix said:
gamesguru, using your proposed substitution, I get

[tex]u = \sqrt{x}, 2\sqrt{x}du = dx[/tex]

as you obviously did, however, I'm struggling to convince myself that it's mathematically correct to substitute into the substitution, i.e. to write

[tex]2\sqrt{x}du = dx[/tex]

as

[tex]2udu = dx[/tex]

I'm sorry if I'm being irritating, but I really want to understand this and how it works.
Here's the full reason for that.
We make the substitution [itex]u=\sqrt{x}[/itex].
Differentiate both sides with respect to x,
[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex].
With me so far? Bring the dx over,
[tex]du=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex].
Now we recognize the original substitution [itex]u=\sqrt{x}[/itex]:
[tex]du=\frac{1}{2u}dx[/tex].
Finally, bring over the 2u:
[tex]2u du=dx[/tex].
That's the reason why, and you can check this by integration, 2u du->u^2 and dx->x so:
[tex]u^2=x, u=\sqrt{x}[/tex].
Hope that helps.

1. What is a definite integral involving base e and square root of variable as exponent?

A definite integral involving base e and square root of variable as exponent is an integral with a specific starting and ending point, where the integrand contains the natural logarithmic constant e and the variable is raised to the power of one-half.

2. How do I solve a definite integral involving base e and square root of variable as exponent?

To solve a definite integral involving base e and square root of variable as exponent, you can use integration by parts or substitution to simplify the integral into a more manageable form. Then, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral.

3. What is the significance of using base e in a definite integral?

The natural logarithmic constant e is commonly used in mathematics because of its unique properties, such as being its own derivative and appearing in many natural growth and decay processes. In a definite integral, using base e can simplify the calculation and provide a more elegant solution.

4. Can a definite integral involving base e and square root of variable as exponent have a negative value?

Yes, a definite integral can have a negative value if the integrand is negative or if the function being integrated has a negative area under the curve. This can occur when the lower limit is greater than the upper limit, resulting in a negative change in the function's value.

5. What are some real-world applications of definite integrals involving base e and square root of variable as exponent?

Definite integrals involving base e and square root of variable as exponent are commonly used in physics and engineering to model natural phenomena, such as radioactive decay and heat transfer. They can also be applied in finance to calculate compound interest and in statistics to determine probabilities in normal distributions.