Binomial (Properties of Coefficients)

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for proving a polynomial equation involving binomial coefficients. The focus is on finding a specific value for n in order to simplify the equation and determine which of the given options is the correct solution. The conversation also mentions using a similar strategy as seen in another problem, and suggests replacing a variable in the equation.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum^{n}_{r=0} (2r+1) (^{n} C_{r})^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]x(1+x^{2})^{n}[/tex]
If I differentiate this and put x=1;
I will get the above series without the squares of the binomial coefficients.Will multiplying by [tex](1+x)^{n}[/tex] help now?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "problem" you give is a polynomial. Now, what are you supposed to do with it? What is the question?

I have to prove this equal to anyone of these.
[tex]
a) (2n+2) ^{2n} C_{n}
[/tex]

[tex]
b) (n+1) ^{2n} C_{n}
[/tex]

[tex]
c) (2n+1) ^{2n} C_{n}
[/tex]

[tex]
d) (n) ^{2n} C_{n}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Help me!

Well to make things easier (and to cheat a little), let n=2, for example. You should find that only (b) holds. Now of course a proof is required, so that itself doesn't count. But at least you know where to focus your effort.

Defennder said:
Well to make things easier (and to cheat a little), let n=2, for example. You should find that only (b) holds. Now of course a proof is required, so that itself doesn't count. But at least you know where to focus your effort.

The answer was already given to me in the textbook. I am just wondering how to prove the result...

Roughly the same trick as the other one. Replace r in 2r+1 by n-r. As for C(n,r)^2, That's the same as C(n,r)*C(n,n-r). If you sum of over r, isn't that the same as the number of ways to choose n objects from a group of 2n objects?

1. What is a binomial?

A binomial is a mathematical expression with two terms that are connected by either addition or subtraction.

2. What are the properties of coefficients in a binomial?

The properties of coefficients in a binomial include:

• The first term has a positive coefficient
  • The second term has a negative coefficient
  • The sum of the coefficients is equal to 0
  • The product of the coefficients is equal to the constant term
  • The coefficients follow the pattern of Pascal's triangle

3. How do I determine the coefficients in a binomial expansion?

The coefficients in a binomial expansion can be determined using the formula (n choose k) where n is the total number of terms and k is the specific term being expanded. This can also be calculated using Pascal's triangle.

4. Can coefficients be negative in a binomial?

Yes, coefficients can be negative in a binomial. This is often seen in binomials with subtraction, where the second term will have a negative coefficient.

5. What is the significance of the coefficients in a binomial in terms of probability?

The coefficients in a binomial expansion represent the number of ways a certain outcome can occur in a given number of trials. These coefficients can also be used to calculate the probability of a specific outcome in a binomial experiment.