Newbie needs some help kw/rpm relation

• Thread starter alibaba2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the person is trying to attach a low-rpm PMG to a hydro site that generates 2000Nm of torque at 100rpm, with a calculated power of 20.95 kw. The PMG produces 20kw at 250rpm and using a gear box to achieve this speed will decrease the torque to 800Nm. Taking into account the 93% efficiency of the generator, the person will end up producing 18.6 kw of power. They are wondering if their calculations are correct, and the expert confirms that the power remains the same due to the gear ratio.
alibaba2
theory check: i have a hydro site that has generates 2000Nm of torque at 100rpm. this has been calculated at 20.95 kw. i am looking to attach a low-rpm PMG making 20kw at 250 rpm. if i use a gear box to achieve the 250 rpm (leading to a gecrease in torque 2,5 times=800Nm) will i be making the 20kw that is rated at rpm according to manufacturer specifications? the generator has 93% efficiency, so in the end i will be making 93% of the 20kw , or 18,6 kw.

please let me know if my calculations are correct

big 10q

Engineering news on Phys.org
Minus losses in the gearbox (which could be substantial), your logic about the power sounds correct. Note, though, the rpm gets divided, but the torque multiplied by the gear ratio. That's how the power stays the same (p=rpm*torque).

Your calculations appear to be correct. In order to achieve the desired 20kW output at 250rpm, a gear box will need to be used to decrease the torque to 800Nm. This decrease in torque will result in a decrease in power output, which can be compensated for by the efficiency of the generator. With a 93% efficiency, the final power output will be 18.6kW, which is close to the desired 20kW. It is important to also consider other factors such as the efficiency of the gear box and any losses in the system, but your overall approach seems reasonable. It may also be helpful to consult with a professional in the field for further confirmation and guidance.

1. What is the relationship between kilowatts (kW) and revolutions per minute (rpm)?

Kilowatts and revolutions per minute are both units of measurement for energy and speed, respectively. The relationship between them is that kilowatts (kW) is a measure of power, which is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. Revolutions per minute (rpm) is a measure of speed, specifically the number of full rotations completed in one minute. Therefore, the relationship between kW and rpm depends on the type of engine or motor being used, as well as the load or resistance it is overcoming.

2. How do you calculate the kw/rpm ratio?

The kw/rpm ratio, also known as specific power, can be calculated by dividing the power output (in kilowatts) by the speed (in revolutions per minute). For example, if a motor has a power output of 50 kW and runs at 2000 rpm, the kw/rpm ratio would be 0.025 kW/rpm.

3. Is there a standard or ideal kw/rpm ratio for engines or motors?

There is no standard or ideal kw/rpm ratio that applies to all engines or motors. The specific power of an engine or motor depends on its design, purpose, and efficiency. In general, higher specific power means the engine or motor is able to produce more power while operating at a faster speed, but it may also consume more fuel or have a shorter lifespan.

4. How does the kw/rpm ratio affect the performance of an engine or motor?

The kw/rpm ratio is an important factor in the performance of an engine or motor. A higher kw/rpm ratio means the engine or motor is more powerful and can potentially achieve higher speeds. However, this also means it may consume more fuel and generate more heat, which can affect its overall efficiency and longevity. A lower kw/rpm ratio may result in slower speeds, but it can also improve fuel efficiency and decrease wear and tear on the engine or motor.

5. Can the kw/rpm ratio be changed or modified?

The kw/rpm ratio is primarily determined by the design and specifications of the engine or motor. However, it can be modified or adjusted to a certain extent by changing the load or resistance the engine or motor is facing. For example, a car can achieve higher speeds by reducing the weight it is carrying, which decreases the load on the engine and allows it to operate at a higher kw/rpm ratio. Similarly, a generator can produce more power by reducing the number of appliances or devices it is powering, which decreases the load and allows it to operate at a higher kw/rpm ratio.