Showing a complicated mess is equal to cot(z)

• Thread starter nathan12343
  • Start date
In summary, Nathan found a function that has the real part - sin(2x)+isinh(2y)±cos(2x)-cosh(2y) where z = x+iy. He tried to derive the function without using mathematica, but was unsuccessful. He then used the above equation to find the function.
nathan12343

Homework Statement

Find the function f(z) whose real part is

[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{cosh(2y)-cos(2x)}[/tex]

where z = x + iy

Homework Equations

I already know f(z)=cot(z), using FullSimplify[] in mathematica on the expression I get for u + iv when I apply the Cauchy-Reimann equations.

More explicitly,

f(x,y) = u(x,y)+iv(x,y) = [tex]\frac{-sin(2x)+isinh(2y)}{cos(2x)-cosh(2y)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to derive without mathematica that this is cot(z) about a thousand different ways. I can't seem to manipulate the expression into a usable form. Am I missing something obvious?

Help!

Thanks!

-Nathan

Physics news on Phys.org
There can exist an infinite number of functions having that real part. Do you mean a function analytic on the entire complex plane?

Yes, a function analytic on a certain subset of the complex plane.

Hi Nathan! :smile:

Hint:

[tex]\frac{1\ -\ i\,cot(z)}{1\ +\ i\,cot(z)}[/tex] = … ? :smile:

I'm sorry, Tiny Tim, I don't see how that helps me:

I get,

[tex]
\frac{1\ -\ i\,cot(z)}{1\ +\ i\,cot(z)} = -(Cos(2z)+Sin(2z))
[/tex]

What does that have to do with reducing what I found above?

nathan12343 said:
I get,
[tex] \frac{1\ -\ i\,cot(z)}{1\ +\ i\,cot(z)} = -(Cos(2z)+Sin(2z))[/tex]

Hi Nathan! :smile:

How did you get that? :confused:

I get [tex]\frac{1\ -\ i\,cot(z)}{1\ +\ i\,cot(z)}\ =\ \frac{sin(z)\ -\ i\,cos(z)}{sin(z)\ +\ i\,cos(z)}[/tex] = … ? :smile:

Thanks for the help, tiny-tim

I think I dropped an i

[tex]
\frac{1\ -\ i\,cot(z)}{1\ +\ i\,cot(z)}\ =\ \frac{sin(z)\ -\ i\,cos(z)}{sin(z)\ +\ i\,cos(z)} = sin^2(z) - cos^2(z) - 2isin(z)cos(z) = -(cos(2z) + i sin(2z)) = -e^{2iz}
[/tex]

But I still don't see how this helps me with my original problem...

nathan12343 said:
Thanks for the help, tiny-tim

I think I dropped an i

[tex]\frac{1\ -\ i\,cot(z)}{1\ +\ i\,cot(z)}\ =\ \frac{sin(z)\ -\ i\,cos(z)}{sin(z)\ +\ i\,cos(z)} = sin^2(z) - cos^2(z) - 2isin(z)cos(z) = -(cos(2z) + i sin(2z)) = -e^{2iz}[/tex]

hmm … quicker would be …
[tex]\frac{1\ -\ i\,cot(z)}{1\ +\ i\,cot(z)}\ =\ \frac{sin(z)\ -\ i\,cos(z)}{sin(z)\ +\ i\,cos(z)}\ =\ -\frac{i\,e^{iz}}{i\,e{-iz}}\ =\ -e^{2iz}[/tex]
But I still don't see how this helps me with my original problem...
You wanted to prove that cot(z) = [tex]\frac{-sin(2x)+isinh(2y)}{cos(2x)-cosh(2y)}[/tex] …

just plug that into the above formula. :wink:

Last edited:
Wow, that was a really hard problem...

Thanks, for the help, tiny-tim!

If you wouldn't mind my asking, how did you come up with that?

nathan12343 said:
If you wouldn't mind my asking, how did you come up with that?

erm … I'm familiar with (1 + tanhz)/(1 - tanhz) = e2z

(as you should be! :wink:)

so I just used iz instead of z. :smile:

1. What is the meaning of "complicated mess" in this context?

In mathematics, a "complicated mess" often refers to a complex or convoluted equation or problem. It can also refer to a situation where there are multiple variables or factors involved.

2. How is "Showing a complicated mess is equal to cot(z)" relevant in science?

This statement is relevant in science because it relates to the concept of equivalent expressions. In science, it is often important to simplify complex equations or systems in order to better understand them and make predictions.

3. What is the role of cot(z) in this statement?

Cot(z) refers to the cotangent function, which is the ratio of the adjacent side to the opposite side in a right triangle. In this statement, cot(z) represents a specific mathematical expression that is equal to the complicated mess being shown.

4. How is "Showing a complicated mess is equal to cot(z)" proven?

This statement can be proven using mathematical techniques such as substitution, simplification, and algebraic manipulation. By substituting the complicated mess with cot(z) and simplifying both sides, it can be shown that they are equivalent expressions.

5. Can "Showing a complicated mess is equal to cot(z)" be applied to other equations or problems?

Yes, this concept of equivalent expressions can be applied to various equations or problems in mathematics and science. It is a fundamental concept that allows for simplification and understanding of complex systems.