Determining Effective Force of Gravity

In summary, to find the effective force of gravity at a certain latitude, you can use the equation N_r = mg -m\omega^2R\cos^2\theta, where N_r is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ω is the angular velocity of the Earth's rotation, R is the radius of the Earth, and θ is the latitude. This takes into account the centripetal acceleration at that latitude and allows you to solve for the normal force, which is equal to the effective weight of the object.
ffanxii4ever
How do you find the effective force of Gravity when at a particular latitude?

I keep trying to figure it out, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it. I understand that some small portion of the force of gravity goes towards your centripetal acceleration at certain latitudes, but I can't seem get the idea, since you seem to have three unknowns, but only two equations.

For example (45 degree latitude):

You are not moving in the y-direction, so the y-component of your weight must be equal to the y-component of your normal force; http://ffanxii4ever.googlepages.com/hp1.bmp/hp1-medium;init:.jpg
and then the net force in the centripetal acceleration is:
http://ffanxii4ever.googlepages.com/hp2.bmp/hp2-medium;init:.jpg

But you only have these two equations, but you have three variables, the normal force, the acceleration of gravity (and as a result the force of gravity) and the angle that the normal force is at (it is offset from the force of gravity).

Does anyone have any idea as to what I am missing, that is making me incapable of understanding this? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are only two forces acting on the object: The weight, W = mg, which acts toward the center of the Earth, and the normal force, N. You also know the acceleration, a = ω²r = ω²Rcosθ, which acts toward the axis of rotation. (R is the radius of the Earth.)

You have all you need to solve for the normal force (which gives you the effective weight of the object). Think vectorially:
[tex]\vec{W} + \vec{N} = m\vec{a}[/tex]

Looking at just the radial components, you have:
[tex]-mg + N_r = -m\omega^2R\cos^2\theta[/tex]

Or:
[tex]N_r = mg -m\omega^2R\cos^2\theta[/tex]

I can understand your confusion and frustration with trying to determine the effective force of gravity at a particular latitude. It is a complex concept and can be difficult to grasp at first. However, there are several key factors that need to be taken into consideration in order to accurately calculate the effective force of gravity at a specific latitude.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the force of gravity is not constant across the Earth's surface. It varies depending on the distance from the center of the Earth and the mass of the Earth. This means that the effective force of gravity will be different at different latitudes.

Secondly, as you mentioned, the Earth's rotation also plays a role in determining the effective force of gravity. This is because objects at the equator are moving faster than objects at higher latitudes, resulting in a centrifugal force that can slightly reduce the force of gravity.

To accurately calculate the effective force of gravity at a specific latitude, you would need to consider the following factors:

1. The distance from the center of the Earth at that latitude
2. The mass of the Earth
3. The rotation of the Earth at that latitude
4. The angle at which the normal force is acting (which is dependent on the incline of the surface at that latitude)

Once you have all of these factors, you can use the equations you mentioned in your post to calculate the net force at that latitude. It is important to note that this calculation will give you an approximation of the effective force of gravity, as there are other factors such as the Earth's shape and density variations that can also affect the force of gravity.

In summary, determining the effective force of gravity at a particular latitude is a complex process that takes into account various factors. it is important to carefully consider all of these factors and use accurate measurements and equations to calculate the net force at a specific latitude.

1. How is the force of gravity determined?

The force of gravity is determined by the mass and distance between two objects. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force of gravity. The force of gravity also decreases as the distance between two objects increases.

2. Can the force of gravity be measured?

Yes, the force of gravity can be measured using a tool called a gravimeter. This device measures the acceleration of a falling object and can calculate the force of gravity based on that measurement.

3. Does the location affect the force of gravity?

Yes, the force of gravity can vary depending on the location. This is due to the variation in the mass and distance of the objects in that location. For example, the force of gravity on Earth is different from the force of gravity on the Moon.

4. How does the force of gravity affect objects?

The force of gravity causes objects to be pulled towards each other. This is what keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space. The force of gravity also determines the weight of an object.

5. Can the force of gravity be changed?

The force of gravity cannot be changed because it is a fundamental force of nature. However, the strength of gravity can change depending on the mass and distance of the objects involved.