What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
MissSilvy said:
Perhaps I'm a tad bitter but guys seem to be a whole lot more demanding in a mate. It's contrary to popular opinions, I know, but if a guy dates someone who everyone thinks is weird or sub-par, he'll never hear the end of it from his guys friends. I once dated someone who I thought was cute and while my friends didn't agree, they acknowledged that I must've seen something in him that made him worth keeping. A guy friend of mine was in a similar situation but all his friends could say was "Do you put a bag over her head when you're alone together? Haha!" even though he explained that she was funny, caring, and a nice person.

Men!They can be so shallow.They're beasts I tell you...beasts! :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dadface said:
Men!They can be so shallow.They're beasts I tell you...beasts! :cry:

Growl!

...and thread locked.

junglebeast said:
I can't fathom how you see these 2 things to be in conflict. I don't see anything adventuresome or exciting about going to a club. I was thinking more like...break into a restricted area and make out, or randomly take on an excursion into the jungle, or make a crazy funny movie, just do something new and fun. Go oil painting in the mountains. Go sky diving. Spend the night in the forest

So adventurous like breaking laws ..

MissSilvy said:
Perhaps I'm a tad bitter but guys seem to be a whole lot more demanding in a mate. It's contrary to popular opinions, I know, but if a guy dates someone who everyone thinks is weird or sub-par, he'll never hear the end of it from his guys friends.

That's not contrary to popular opinion -- what you've described is actually the typical male. Men often have relatively low standards in their dating habits, but relatively higher standards in their ideals about a mate worthy of marriage.

That's why so many women end up in dead-end relationships where the guy is afraid to "take the next step," and why people write silly books like He's Just Not That Into You.

- Warren

chroot said:
That's not contrary to popular opinion -- what you've described is actually the typical male. Men often have relatively low standards in their dating habits, but relatively higher standards in their ideals about a mate worthy of marriage.

That's why so many women end up in dead-end relationships where the guy is afraid to "take the next step," and why people write silly books like He's Just Not That Into You.

- Warren

I have bad news warren. It's not you, it's me.

MissSilvy said:
Perhaps I'm a tad bitter but guys seem to be a whole lot more demanding in a mate. It's contrary to popular opinions, I know, but if a guy dates someone who everyone thinks is weird or sub-par, he'll never hear the end of it from his guys friends. I once dated someone who I thought was cute and while my friends didn't agree, they acknowledged that I must've seen something in him that made him worth keeping. A guy friend of mine was in a similar situation but all his friends could say was "Do you put a bag over her head when you're alone together? Haha!" even though he explained that she was funny, caring, and a nice person.

yeah, that's just the way women are. better watch out or they'll be trying to steal your man!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10966-beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-your-friends.html

and guys, this is the way you want to choose your profile pics for online dating: with the type of girl you'd like to date looking at you adoringly.

chroot said:

- Warren

it's a little more than that. men tend to select on looks (maybe there's a reason we're so visual beyond chucking spears), and women tend to select on resources.

Proton Soup said:
it's a little more than that. men tend to select on looks (maybe there's a reason we're so visual beyond chucking spears), and women tend to select on resources.

because women get stuck with babies for 18 years and men don't.

Proton Soup said:
yeah, that's just the way women are. better watch out or they'll be trying to steal your man!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10966-beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-your-friends.html

and guys, this is the way you want to choose your profile pics for online dating: with the type of girl you'd like to date looking at you adoringly.
Women found the men who were being smiled at suddenly more attractive, while men who apparently elicited no such smiling approval were pronounced less attractive.
It's absolutely true. Simply having one girl attracted to a guy makes more girls attracted to him.

I am an old guy. Even one or two girls that showed an interest in me had a huge effect. I had had I had no money to commute with, so U of A Tuscon and other schools that wanted me on my SAT scores and others, didn't fare well. I ended up at a state UNI, and realistically, my best chance of advancing in astronomy would have involved getting a junior fellowship in instrumentation and getting experience that would have boosted me into advanced programs.

MissSilvy said:

I've found that women talk poorly of their friends choices in dating material just as much as men. Men though are more likely to say it to your face and usually just consider it a way of making fun of their friend (making fun of each other is a passtime for males) while women will make it an actual topic of conversation.

TheStatutoryApe said:
while women will make it an actual topic of conversation.
The 'tend and befriend' reflex.

DaveC426913 said:
The 'tend and befriend' reflex.
What's the "'tend and befriend' reflex"?

I would like to know as well. :/

misgfool said:
How can an intelligent woman be a believer?

Question:
What do these fellows have in common?

Isaac Newton
Georg Canter
Kurt Godel
Francis Collins

Answer:
They are (or were) all believers and they are (or were) all more than likely more intelligent then thou or anyone else on this forum. Please to imply that those who don't agree with one's belief system are not intelligent is very arrogant.

Personally I like girls that aren't so...girly. If that makes sense.

Women without all the excess sass. Someone who likes to get their hands dirty, and work is someone I can relate to.

wildman said:
Question:
What do these fellows have in common?

Isaac Newton
Georg Canter
Kurt Godel
Francis Collins

Answer:
They are (or were) all believers and they are (or were) all more than likely more intelligent then thou or anyone else on this forum. Please to imply that those who don't agree with one's belief system are not intelligent is very arrogant.

Seconded. I know a very intelligent, very pretty girl who is also a very strong believer. We may not agree on matters of religion, but I still think she's a delightful person. A very good friend. Whoever dates her is one lucky fellow.

Last edited:
Lancelot59 said:

Women without all the excess sass. Someone who likes to get their hands dirty, and work is someone I can relate to.

I don't think it's just nerdy guys who go for that. When I had the movers moving my furniture last week, the one single guy in the group was definitely hitting on me and flirting rather mercilessly just because I could pop a door off the hinges and connect my own washer and dryer! Seriously, that's all it took, and both are so simple to do. I was paying by the hour for the move, so I sure wasn't letting them waste time doing those things for me when they could be carrying other stuff to rooms that didn't need doors removed to fit the furniture in.

Lancelot59 said:

Definitely. My wife wants a (rather large) raised-bed garden on the front lawn, and yesterday, despite the muggy weather and the black flies she and I worked out in a neighbor's woodlot tearing down an old stone wall for materials. While I was driving the tractor back here to dump the front-end loader, she kept selecting and piling up stones so by the time I got back into the woods, there were usually enough stones to refill the loader. Some of them, she had to tumble end-over-end - they were too heavy for one person to lift and it took both of us to get them into the bucket.

I can't imagine spending my life with someone who was too vain to risk some fly-bites and chipped nails to collaborate on a project like that. Next weekend, we're going to plant our vegetable garden - a couple of sweaty, black-fly-filled days, but it will be nice to have everything in the ground.

Ditto to that. Only thing is women like that are pretty rare amongst the hordes of...sheep these days.

Most of my friends, much like myself, look for brains and looks. It also helps if you have food.

Last edited:
Food is always a good thing.

Although you have to admit on the initial pass looks come over brains.

Lancelot59 said:
Although you have to admit on the initial pass looks come over brains.

I generally like geeky looking women. I think that glasses are dead sexy. Its always disappointing when an attractive woman with glasses turns out to be a ditz when she opens her mouth.

Yeah, glasses can add to a look quite nicely.

Howers said:
Most of my friends, much like myself, look for brains and looks. It also helps if you have food.

Not just have food. To be able to cook haha I love food, but never really learned how to cook aside from a mean grilled-cheese (though I currently am learning from my fiance), so knowing how to cook is a huge plus!

Kronos5253 said:
Not just have food. To be able to cook haha I love food, but never really learned how to cook aside from a mean grilled-cheese (though I currently am learning from my fiance), so knowing how to cook is a huge plus!

I love my grilled cheese sandwich, although I call it "Cheese Toast".

Last edited by a moderator:
Lancelot59 said:

It makes perfect sense to me. But this work in both ways. Men who are "too manly" are not nice.
Maybe it works in more senses, and not only for dating.
I don't like Americans who are "too American", nor Mexicans who are "too Mexican", Catholics who are "too catholic" or Jews who are "too Jew".

By the way, in Mexico, mothers work hard to convince their daughters that changing your tire or cleaning the posts of your battery is wrong and would cause that "you never marry".
LydiaAC

I really dislike stereotypes like that. It's so old fashioned.

Lancelot59 said:
I really dislike stereotypes like that. It's so old fashioned.

Our brain works through stereotypes: it is the way in which it try to solve the inverse problems it faces everyday.
It is ideal to have a fresh mind anytime you meet a new person, but it is hard.
However, the worst stereotypes are not those that other people apply on you, but those that people apply on themselves.
For me, it is hard to stay rational when I meet a people who think they duty is to show everybody they are "stereotypes walking"

turbo-1 said:
... yesterday, despite the muggy weather and the black flies she and I worked out in a neighbor's woodlot ...

Wow Turbo. Did you two seriously not mind the bites? Though from what I remember of the one time I encountered them, if you keep moving along they don't bother you.

Black fly bites are not ordinary insect bites.

LydiaAC said:
By the way, in Mexico, mothers work hard to convince their daughters that changing your tire or cleaning the posts of your battery is wrong and would cause that "you never marry".
LydiaAC

There might be something to that...afterall, why bother marrying if you can do all that stuff yourself? :biggrin: My boyfriend happened to call me one day while I was ogling the lawnmower that worked like a Roomba being demonstrated at the mall...my comment about it to him was, "It's so cool...another toy to make men obsolete!"

I've been looking for the perfect nerdy guy and I think I have found him, only one problem...he is leaving this summer for college in Florida. My best friend(who just got married) was trying to set me up with him, she knows me all too well. She kinda had a few guys there for me to "pick" from, she just wants to see me with a good guy, and heck, if they are like the guy we both picked, I hope he likes me too, lol.

He is sweet, nerdy, cute, and thoughtful, plus many other things...

Moonbear said:
There might be something to that...afterall, why bother marrying if you can do all that stuff yourself?\

Well historically in Hispanic society men did all the mechanical work and women handled all the in-house chores.

Now days the system is fading away, but it is still there.

The older generation try to enforce their morals, and so propagate the flawed system instead of allowing progress. Same reason why racism was such a rampant thing years ago.

Lancelot59 said:
Well historically in Hispanic society men did all the mechanical work and women handled all the in-house chores.

Now days the system is fading away, but it is still there.

The older generation try to enforce their morals, and so propagate the flawed system instead of allowing progress. Same reason why racism was such a rampant thing years ago.

I believe the primary issue is with the idea of an independant woman. Some men don't like the idea of a woman who does not need them.

<h2>1. What qualities do nerdy guys look for in a girl?</h2><p>Nerdy guys often look for intelligence, a good sense of humor, shared interests, and a genuine personality in a girl. They also appreciate someone who is open-minded and curious about the world.</p><h2>2. Do nerdy guys prefer a certain appearance in girls?</h2><p>Nerdy guys do not have a specific preference for appearance in girls. They are more interested in a girl's personality and shared interests. However, many nerdy guys do appreciate someone who takes care of themselves and presents themselves well.</p><h2>3. Are nerdy guys attracted to outgoing or introverted girls?</h2><p>Nerdy guys can be attracted to both outgoing and introverted girls. It ultimately depends on the individual preferences of the guy. Some may enjoy the energy and social skills of an outgoing girl, while others may appreciate the quiet and thoughtful nature of an introverted girl.</p><h2>4. Do nerdy guys like girls who are into the same nerdy things as them?</h2><p>Many nerdy guys do appreciate a girl who shares their interests and passions. However, it is not a requirement for them to be interested in the same things. They may also enjoy introducing their interests to someone who is open to learning about them.</p><h2>5. How can I attract a nerdy guy?</h2><p>The best way to attract a nerdy guy is to be yourself and show genuine interest in their passions and hobbies. Be confident in your intelligence and don't be afraid to engage in deep conversations. Also, don't be afraid to show your own nerdy side and share your own interests with them.</p>

1. What qualities do nerdy guys look for in a girl?

Nerdy guys often look for intelligence, a good sense of humor, shared interests, and a genuine personality in a girl. They also appreciate someone who is open-minded and curious about the world.

2. Do nerdy guys prefer a certain appearance in girls?

Nerdy guys do not have a specific preference for appearance in girls. They are more interested in a girl's personality and shared interests. However, many nerdy guys do appreciate someone who takes care of themselves and presents themselves well.

3. Are nerdy guys attracted to outgoing or introverted girls?

Nerdy guys can be attracted to both outgoing and introverted girls. It ultimately depends on the individual preferences of the guy. Some may enjoy the energy and social skills of an outgoing girl, while others may appreciate the quiet and thoughtful nature of an introverted girl.

4. Do nerdy guys like girls who are into the same nerdy things as them?

Many nerdy guys do appreciate a girl who shares their interests and passions. However, it is not a requirement for them to be interested in the same things. They may also enjoy introducing their interests to someone who is open to learning about them.

5. How can I attract a nerdy guy?

The best way to attract a nerdy guy is to be yourself and show genuine interest in their passions and hobbies. Be confident in your intelligence and don't be afraid to engage in deep conversations. Also, don't be afraid to show your own nerdy side and share your own interests with them.