What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
Any girl that would not mind the fact that my bedroom walls are completely covered with whiteboards with equations on them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I knew my boyfriend for a few years before we dated. He is so nerdy I don't even think he realized I was female at first. I kept trying to hint but subtlety is not his strong suit, and we had been friends for so long he just wasnt getting it. I ended up going with a low cut top revealing my double D breasts and a request to fix my computer. I then pretended to be interested in how he was fixing the stupid thing and suddenly we were together. We have been together for four years, and I still have to be mildly interested in computers so if youre going to go that route make sure youre not lying about yourself completely. I have no clue what he is talking about most of the time but my inclination to try to figure it out seems to be good enough. Sometimes I actually learn stuff and my computer skills have definitely increased. I think my breasts may still be my top selling point after all this time. I think the one thing that really makes it work for us is that he's into the more computer programing side of nerdiness, and I am an aspiring med/vet student so we have very different areas of expertise. It probably helps that I am also a bit of a nerd though. We enjoy our nintendo wii and webcomics.

fileen said:
I knew my boyfriend for a few years before we dated. He is so nerdy I don't even think he realized I was female at first. I kept trying to hint but subtlety is not his strong suit, and we had been friends for so long he just wasnt getting it. I ended up going with a low cut top revealing my double D breasts and a request to fix my computer. I then pretended to be interested in how he was fixing the stupid thing and suddenly we were together. We have been together for four years, and I still have to be mildly interested in computers so if youre going to go that route make sure youre not lying about yourself completely. I have no clue what he is talking about most of the time but my inclination to try to figure it out seems to be good enough. Sometimes I actually learn stuff and my computer skills have definitely increased. I think my breasts may still be my top selling point after all this time. I think the one thing that really makes it work for us is that he's into the more computer programing side of nerdiness, and I am an aspiring med/vet student so we have very different areas of expertise. It probably helps that I am also a bit of a nerd though. We enjoy our nintendo wii and webcomics.

Like I said, boobies. Nerdy guys like boobies.

I'm not faulting guys for being more attracted to attractive women, but I am laughing at the hypocrisy of not expecting the reverse to happen to them. Based on the number of offers I get, I seem to be quite attractive enough.

attractiveness is wierd. I had a friend who was drop dead gorgeous, but guys only went on one date with her ever. She was so confused about why she can't keep guys around and always claimed they were intimidated by her beauty. She convinced herself she just needed to find someone as attractive as herself. She was an aspiring model and knew she was hot. As soon as you realized this she was a lot less attractive. She was extremely arrogant and it eventually ended our friendship. I am not bad looking, but I am certainly no model, I find that the physical attractiveness is a good place to start, but if youre lacking in personality, then your looks don't account for much any more. It use to make her really mad when guys would take her out and then never call her again, but she assumed everyone wanted her and that her physical attractiveness was all she had to worry about.

MissSilvy said:
I'm not faulting guys for being more attracted to attractive women, but I am laughing at the hypocrisy of not expecting the reverse to happen to them. Based on the number of offers I get, I seem to be quite attractive enough.

There is a definate difference between what men find attractive (tends to be visual attractiveness) and women tend to find attractive (alpha-male qualities that do not require physical attractiveness). I'm generalizing but what matters to a man about a woman is not the same as what matters to a woman about a man.

We're talking about nerds here. I hardly think any girl who loves nerds (myself included) does so because they take charge, are particularly assertive, beat up other men, or do a hundred pull ups in a row. So that theory's shot :)

drankin said:
Like I said, boobies. Nerdy guys like boobies.

Boobies? Where?

MissSilvy said:
We're talking about nerds here. I hardly think any girl who loves nerds (myself included) does so because they take charge, are particularly assertive, beat up other men, or do a hundred pull ups in a row. So that theory's shot :)

Ya I have always been one to claim to be attracted to smartness or cleverness rather than nerdiness. I think nerds are the stereotypical smart, but anyone with clear intelligence gets me going. A nerd without the smarts is less attractive, so I am thinking its not so much a physical thing for me. I think I am initially attracted to the nerdy image because it suggests intelligence. I am also attracted to people who are not bound by social expectations and restrictions. I like someone who can be themselves without needing approval from me, or anyone else for that matter.

fileen said:
attractiveness is wierd. I had a friend who was drop dead gorgeous, but guys only went on one date with her ever. She was so confused about why she can't keep guys around and always claimed they were intimidated by her beauty. She convinced herself she just needed to find someone as attractive as herself. She was an aspiring model and knew she was hot. As soon as you realized this she was a lot less attractive. She was extremely arrogant and it eventually ended our friendship. I am not bad looking, but I am certainly no model, I find that the physical attractiveness is a good place to start, but if youre lacking in personality, then your looks don't account for much any more. It use to make her really mad when guys would take her out and then never call her again, but she assumed everyone wanted her and that her physical attractiveness was all she had to worry about.

I would surmize that she is actually very insecure. And I've heard this a lot about models from buddies who have dated them. They're great to look at but can be so insecure that you have to dump them before they drive you mad. Strippers aren't such a hassle but you have to stand in line and the companionship is brief.

I'm a nerd by nature but I am model material, if I cared to be one. I always been attracted to tough natured women (thanks a lot, mom) and am now I'm married to one. This is the most difficult woman I've ever been with... I'm rambling.

I should have stuck with the sexy mindless type. But there is a saying in Alaska (where I spent my high school to you adult years), "you don't lose your woman, you just lose your turn".

MissSilvy said:

I live in Microsoft land, Redmond, WA. I've seen plenty of nerds (that aren't particulary hunky) hook up with pretty, but dominant women. But that wasn't my point.

Woman, in general, are attracted to confident, assertive, successful men. Regardless of their looks. Men, on the other hand, nerds or not, are attracted to looks first. It's just the nature of being a man. They tend to start there and begin going through the rest of a womans qualities. Intelligent or not, we are still men.

Evo said:
And a lot of those women are also scientists.

I'll never date another rocket scientist. The one time I did, it ended in sorrow.

My nerdy BF preferred small breasts. He has made an exception for me.

MissSilvy said:
Mr. Macho isn't the only type of domineering male there is. A man can be a skinny little geek and still be assertive and confident intellectually. Most intellegent women I have met (and women attracted to intelligence in general) seem to like the idea of a man who can at least keep up with them intellectually if not run circles around them. There are also the more rare domineering women who look for shy submissive men and often steer towards geeks. But even in this I think they are often really looking for a man who could potentially challenge them on the one level that most macho men can not.

drankin said:
I live in Microsoft land, Redmond, WA. I've seen plenty of nerds (that aren't particulary hunky) hook up with pretty, but dominant women. But that wasn't my point.

Woman, in general, are attracted to confident, assertive, successful men. Regardless of their looks. Men, on the other hand, nerds or not, are attracted to looks first. It's just the nature of being a man. They tend to start there and begin going through the rest of a womans qualities. Intelligent or not, we are still men.
Women still pay attention to looks. Its just that many of them tend to have a rather different idea of what makes someone physically attractive. And many of the women who say they do not like muscular guys are lying. I don't know how many women I have heard say that and then stare drooling at some buff guy with his shirt off. They likely just don't like the sort of personality that usually accompanies that sort of physique. Not to say that there are no women out there who do not like buff guys of course.

BobG said:
I'll never date another rocket scientist. The one time I did, it ended in sorrow.
That's not the new girlfiend is it?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Mr. Macho isn't the only type of domineering male there is. A man can be a skinny little geek and still be assertive and confident intellectually. Most intellegent women I have met (and women attracted to intelligence in general) seem to like the idea of a man who can at least keep up with them intellectually if not run circles around them. There are also the more rare domineering women who look for shy submissive men and often steer towards geeks. But even in this I think they are often really looking for a man who could potentially challenge them on the one level that most macho men can not.

Women still pay attention to looks. Its just that many of them tend to have a rather different idea of what makes someone physically attractive. And many of the women who say they do not like muscular guys are lying. I don't know how many women I have heard say that and then stare drooling at some buff guy with his shirt off. They likely just don't like the sort of personality that usually accompanies that sort of physique. Not to say that there are no women out there who do not like buff guys of course.

I agree. When women are looking for a "relationship" they tend to stay away from the the studlies and go for the more manageable nerdy type. Smart, stupid, doesn't matter as much as long as they are confident, solid, and can give push those feminine buttons. But they aren't always going for a relationship, sometimes "Girls just want to have fun".

Evo said:
That's not the new girlfiend is it?

Not anymore.

BobG said:
Not anymore.
Oh no, Bob. :frown: I am so sorry. Want to talk about it?

Me?

I prefer people I can intellectually spar with who are up to my intellectual level.

People, if they have a partner, should have partners, not... subordinates.

kldickson said:
Me?

I prefer people I can intellectually spar with who are up to my intellectual level.

People, if they have a partner, should have partners, not... subordinates.

No matter her intellect, I haven't found a woman yet that would hold a "subordinate" status in her relationship. Any man would be looking for trouble to try to hold her to that. LOL

having someone to discuss intellectual things and whatnot is always a plus. i loved debating with my ex.

I've reviewed the numbers and the majority disagree. So I've concluded that "nerdy" guys like in girls, the same things that non-nerdy guys like in girls and there is no set formula applicable to segregate nerdy guys from non-nerdy guys. That is my theory on this subject.

Hurkyl said:
I won't ask a girl out unless I'm really interested in her, and that happens quite rarely. It's hard to say what exactly I'm looking for, but the last girl I was really interested in was brilliant, witty, gorgeous, fun to be with, and had a charming accent.

On the other hand, I would be willing to date pretty much any girl that's pleasant to be around, were they to ask me out. (although I wouldn't expect it to last more than a few dates)

Sir, what type of accent did she have? I'd like to know... I kind of have an accent myself from watching the BBC a tad much.

IvyElmLea said:
Sir, what type of accent did she have? I'd like to know... I kind of have an accent myself from watching the BBC a tad much.

I'm very impressed with foreigners that manage to speak a second language with no accent. Considering how the ability to hear language occurs at such a young age, the ability to speak a foreign language with no accent is a very impressive feat.

On the other hand, developing an Irish accent when drinking beer is slightly less impressive - especially if the person's never even visited Ireland! Especially when the person's drinking Bud Light!

A computer programmer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess..." He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will tell everyone how smart and brave you are and how you are my hero." The man took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will be your loving companion for an entire week." The man took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to his pocket.
The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for a year and do anything you want." Again the man took the frog out, smiled at it, and put it back into his pocket."

Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess, that I'll stay with you for a year and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"
The man said, "Look, I'm a computer programmer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog is cool."

Likes Hector Mata
That's hilarious.

Some e-mail or other said:
Enginerd 1 rides up to his buddy Enginerd 2 on his shiny new bike.

Enginerd 2: Cool bike man! Where'd you get it?

Enginerd 1: Well, this girl rides up to me on her bike, rips off all her clothes and screams, "You can have anything you see!" So I took this bike!

Enginerd 2: Good call, I don't think her clothes would've fit you!

An oldie, but goodie.
\Enginerd

MATLABdude said:
An oldie, but goodie.
\Enginerd

Hah!

muppet said:
A computer programmer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess..." He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will tell everyone how smart and brave you are and how you are my hero." The man took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will be your loving companion for an entire week." The man took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to his pocket.
The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for a year and do anything you want." Again the man took the frog out, smiled at it, and put it back into his pocket."

Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess, that I'll stay with you for a year and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"
The man said, "Look, I'm a computer programmer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog is cool."

aaaaaahahahaha Oh my goodness this was a great story :).

Its not what nerdy guys like in a girl... Its what girls can do to make nerdy guys like them. :) In that case your better off turning yourself into a boy with some comic books and a scientific calculator...

magpies said:
Its not what nerdy guys like in a girl... Its what girls can do to make nerdy guys like them.
Have a pulse?

DaveC426913 said:
Have a pulse?

LIMH! Nice one.

Personally I would like a girl who is more active than I am. Smarter would be a plus. Any qaulity I can improve on. Open minded, friendly. Likes sex. I am sort of a nympho. Free, understanding, and some that respects themselves. Independent (not the kinda that needs to take control of everything). A lot. I'm a bit picky.

Had some pretty bad luck.

whybother said:
This is what nerdy guys like in girls: http://badphysics.wordpress.com/

you mean big boobs?

I think we talked about them before.. anyway, BOOOOOBS!