Material Data - E9310 (Ultra High Strength Steel)

In summary, the conversation revolved around the difficulty of finding material information for the steel E9310, which is listed in the Aerospace Structural Metals Handbook as an Ultra High Strength Steel. The AMS specifications for this steel include 6260J, 6265F, and 6267B, but the speaker is looking for additional data such as tangent modulus at yield and stress/strain curve. They also mention that they have been unable to find any information on modulus or Poisson's ratio and have checked the MMPDS-01 Handbook with no luck. A possible solution suggested was to try MatWeb for the needed information.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi guys, I'm having trouble tracking down some material information for this steel, E9310. It's listed in the Aerospace Structural Metals Handbook under Ultra High Strength Steel.

AMS specifications include:
6260J
6265F
6267B

I have quite a bit of data for it, but I'm looking for a little more. I would really like a tangent modulus at yield, or even a stress/strain curve. I also cannot find any modulus or poisson's ratio.

Thanks if anyone can find anything.

p.s. There is nothing for the material in the MMPDS-01 Handbook either.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your research on E9310 steel. It appears that this particular steel is not widely studied or documented, which can make it challenging to find specific material data.

However, based on the AMS specifications you provided, it seems that E9310 has been used in aerospace applications, which suggests that it has high strength and durability. The fact that it is classified as an ultra-high strength steel also indicates that it has exceptional mechanical properties.

In terms of the tangent modulus at yield and stress/strain curve, it may be helpful to reach out to the manufacturer or supplier of this steel. They may have access to more detailed data and can provide you with the information you are looking for.

As for the modulus and Poisson's ratio, these properties can be calculated using the stress/strain curve. However, without access to that data, it would be difficult to provide an accurate estimate.

I understand your frustration in not being able to find enough data on this steel, but it is possible that it is still a relatively new material and more research and testing may need to be done to fully understand its properties. In the meantime, reaching out to the manufacturer or other experts in the field may be your best option for obtaining more information.

Best of luck in your research.

1. What is Material Data - E9310?

Material Data - E9310 is a type of ultra high strength steel that is commonly used in aerospace and automotive industries due to its high tensile strength and excellent fatigue resistance.

2. What are the properties of E9310 steel?

E9310 steel has a tensile strength of 220 ksi and a yield strength of 205 ksi. It also has excellent toughness and fatigue resistance, making it suitable for use in high-stress applications.

3. What are the applications of E9310 steel?

E9310 steel is commonly used in aircraft and spacecraft components, such as landing gear, engine components, and structural parts. It is also used in automotive and racing industries for high-performance engine parts and chassis components.

4. How is E9310 steel different from other types of steel?

E9310 steel is a low alloy steel that contains elements such as nickel, chromium, and molybdenum, which give it its high strength and toughness. It is also heat treatable, allowing for further enhancement of its properties.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using E9310 steel?

One potential drawback of E9310 steel is its high cost compared to other types of steel. It is also more difficult to machine and weld, requiring specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, it may be prone to hydrogen embrittlement if not properly treated before use.