Shutting Down Win98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop | Solutions Needed

• Thread starter EMANUELI
  • Start date
In summary: You may want to try the following: 1. Check to see if your BIOS has an option to disable ACPI. 2. Check to see if you have a recent harddrive. If so, try formatting it and reinstalling windows. 3. Check to see if your video card is supported by windows. If so, try upgrading to a newer card. 4. Check to see if your system has a recent chipset. If so, try upgrading your motherboard. 5. Check to see if you’re using a lot of third party software. If so, try disabling or removing some of them. 6. Check to see if you’re experiencing other performance issues.
EMANUELI
I have a p4 compaq hp desktop o/s win98 SE in a good condition. The thing is every time when i try to shutdown i doesn'nt shutdown compleately instead it remain showing screen windows 98 is shuting down.I have already try to change a couple of things but i couldn't make it! I use to shutdown manually by pressing the power button,By doing this in a long run will it cause another problem like demage my HDD? Any answer will be verry helpfull to this site especially for begeners like me.THANKS

Computer science news on Phys.org
There will be no long run effects since the harddrive has been turned off. I think the problem has to do with win98 se not supporting the acpi of your motherboard. The best solution would be to upgrade. Why do you have windows 98 se for a p4?

That's a kniwn problem in 98 SE. Hit the return key a couple of times. Goto annoyances.org and you'll find a lot of responses to this problem.

Good luck.

PS, have you thought about switching to Linux?

faust9 said:
That's a kniwn problem in 98 SE. Hit the return key a couple of times. Goto annoyances.org and you'll find a lot of responses to this problem.

Good luck.
Its a real bear of a problem and might be unsolvable - I recommend a newer OS too.

EMANUELI ,
Here is information and patches from Microsoft (who are well aware of the problem).

Windows 98 Second Edition Mapped Drives Shutdown Update
This update resolves a shutdown issue in Windows 98 Second Edition, where Windows may stop responding if there are a significant number of mapped network drives on your computer. The larger the number of drives that are mapped, the more likely the problem may occur.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/q260067/Default.asp

Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
Addresses shutdown issues on systems with specific hardware/software configurations running Windows 98 Second Edition. These issues include systems restarting when selecting shutdown and systems hanging on shutdown. NOTE: This supplement has been updated as of November, 1999. Please install this latest version. http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

It has been my experience that the shutdown patch doesn’t always help. Considering the CPU in your system I’m surprised it didn’t come bundled with winXP. I would recommend doing what Russ suggested and move to a newer OS.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I shut down my Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop?

To shut down your Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop, click on the "Start" button and select "Shut Down" from the menu. This will bring up a dialog box with different options for shutting down your computer. Choose the appropriate option and click "OK" to shut down your computer.

2. Why is my Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop not shutting down properly?

There could be several reasons why your Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop is not shutting down properly. It could be due to a software or hardware issue, corrupt system files, or conflicting applications. Try troubleshooting the issue by closing any open programs and running a system scan for errors.

3. Can I force shut down my Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop?

Yes, you can force shut down your Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop by pressing and holding the power button on your computer until it shuts off. However, this is not recommended as it can cause damage to your system and result in data loss.

4. How can I prevent my Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop from automatically shutting down?

If your Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop is shutting down automatically, it could be due to a power management setting. To prevent this, go to the Control Panel and open the Power Options. Adjust the settings to your preferences and make sure to save the changes.

5. What are some solutions for a Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop that won't shut down?

If your Windows 98 SE P4 Compaq HP Desktop is not shutting down, you can try some of these solutions: close any open programs, run a system scan for errors, check for any software or hardware conflicts, update your drivers, and try restarting your computer. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help or consider upgrading your operating system.