BA Physics to MSME? | Advice from Experienced Students

• Thread starter Sherman8r44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Path 2 is definitely feasible from an admissions standpoint. It might be a bit more difficult from an academic standpoint since you would be double majoring, but it's definitely doable. The main thing to keep in mind is to make sure that you have the requisite academic preparation for the program.
Sherman8r44
Hello All,

I am a currently a sophomore econ-math joint major, and I have decided I want to study mechanical engineering and work in the automotive industry. My predicament is that my current school (Emory) doesn't offer engineering.

I have enough surplus credits to follow one of these paths:

1. Graduate a year early and get a BSME at Georgia Tech.
2. Double major with Physics (BA) and try to get into an MSME program.

Has anyone taken path #2? Is it feasible from an admissions standpoint? Feasible academically?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always a bit tricky to switch fields, and I'm a bit concerned because you're thinking about double majoring with a BA in physics (while a quick online check did reveal that a BS is offered). The BS in Physics or Applied Physics would be better... perhaps Physics since the Applied Physics degree seems to have an emphasis on optics and condensed matter / materials -- or lean a bit towards electrical engineering (not mechanical).

Even so, as I said, switching fields is tough. There's a perhaps slight thing to be said about your institution not offering a degree that might work in your favor with an MSME admissions committee. Also, perhaps admissions into a master's program aren't as stringent as admissions into a Ph.D. program (the type of admissions I'm familiar with) since often no funding is really provided for the degree. Nonetheless, you'd want to be sure you still had the academic preparation for it. Look into some programs and their "recommended undergraduate preparation" if you can find it.

Is there a possibility to transfer to GT earlier? Perhaps not at this point, since perhaps they've already finalized fall admissions.

Hopefully others can give you their views on this.

Thanks for the reply Physics girl. I'm not transferring to GT; we have a dual-degree program with them which I would be entering. I'm too far in with credits, so I might as well finish out my degree at Emory. Which do you think would be better - BA Physics and a few cross-listed undergrad ME courses from GT, or straight-up Emory BS Applied?

The difference between the BS and Applied is that the former allows two electives while the latter stipulates those two courses, correct?

Some MSME programs say "BS in engineering or equivalent", some stipulate mechanical engineering majors only, and some say "we let in a few science majors". I'm really very confused as to what my chances would be coming out of college with a physics major.

What is the difference between a BA in Physics and an MS in Mechanical Engineering?

A BA in Physics is a bachelor's degree that focuses on the fundamentals of physics, including topics like mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity, and magnetism. An MS in Mechanical Engineering is a master's degree that builds upon this foundation and delves deeper into the application of physics principles in the design and development of mechanical systems.

Can I pursue an MS in Mechanical Engineering with a BA in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MS in Mechanical Engineering with a BA in Physics. However, some programs may have specific prerequisite courses or requirements that need to be fulfilled before admission. It is advisable to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.

What are some common career paths for individuals with a BA in Physics and an MS in Mechanical Engineering?

Individuals with a BA in Physics and an MS in Mechanical Engineering can pursue a variety of careers, including design and development of mechanical systems, research and development in industries such as aerospace and automotive, consulting, and teaching at the university level.

What skills can I expect to gain from pursuing an MS in Mechanical Engineering after a BA in Physics?

Pursuing an MS in Mechanical Engineering after a BA in Physics can enhance your skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical reasoning. You will also gain technical skills in areas such as computer-aided design, materials science, and fluid mechanics.

What advice do experienced students have for individuals considering a transition from BA Physics to MSME?

Experienced students recommend researching the specific program requirements and prerequisites, networking with professionals in the field, and gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities. It is also important to have a strong understanding of mathematics, as it forms the foundation of both BA in Physics and MS in Mechanical Engineering programs.