"Intensity of Incoherent EM Waves

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the intensity of electromagnetic radiation when two incoherent waves with intensities 7I0 and 13I0 travel in the same direction in the same region of space. The equation I = I1 + I2 + ( 2* square root of (I1 * I2)) was suggested, but it was noted that this formula is only applicable for coherent sources, not incoherent sources. It was then mentioned that for incoherent sources, the intensities can be directly added together. Further clarification or hints were requested for solving the problem.
rachiebaby17

Homework Statement

Two incoherent EM waves of intensities 7I0 and 13I0 travel in the same direction in the same region of space. What is the intensity of EM radiation in this region?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using I = I1 + I2 + ( 2* square root of (I1 * I2))
also tried using the same equation with a minus sign in front of the () portion.

I am lost at what I need to do even some hints would be so great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried using I = I1 + I2 + ( 2* square root of (I1 * I2))
This formula is true only for coherent sources not for incoherent sources.
For incoherent sources you can directly add the intensities.

As a scientist, it is important to approach this problem by first understanding the concept of incoherent EM waves. Incoherent waves are waves that have random phases and do not have a consistent relationship with each other. This means that the two waves in this problem are not in phase and do not have a constant phase difference.

To determine the intensity of EM radiation in this region, we can use the principle of superposition, which states that the total intensity at any point is the sum of the intensities of the individual waves at that point.

In this case, we can use the equation I = I1 + I2 + 2√(I1 * I2), where I1 and I2 are the intensities of the two waves, to calculate the total intensity of the EM radiation in this region.

Plugging in the given values of 7I0 and 13I0, we get I = 7I0 + 13I0 + 2√(7I0 * 13I0) = 20I0 + 2√(91I0^2) = 20I0 + 2(9.54I0) = 39.08I0.

Therefore, the intensity of EM radiation in this region is 39.08 times the initial intensity I0. It is important to note that this value is an approximation since we assumed that the two waves are traveling in the same direction and have the same polarization.

In conclusion, the intensity of EM radiation in this region can be calculated using the principle of superposition and the given intensities of the two waves. It is important to understand the concept of incoherent waves and how they behave in order to solve this problem accurately.

What is the definition of "Intensity of Incoherent EM Waves"?

The intensity of incoherent electromagnetic (EM) waves refers to the amount of energy carried by the waves per unit time and per unit area. It is a measure of the strength of the EM field, and is typically expressed in units of watts per square meter (W/m2).

How is the intensity of incoherent EM waves different from coherent EM waves?

Coherent EM waves have a consistent phase relationship between the electric and magnetic fields, while incoherent EM waves have random phase relationships. This results in a more chaotic and less predictable distribution of energy for incoherent waves, and a higher overall intensity for coherent waves.

What factors affect the intensity of incoherent EM waves?

The intensity of incoherent EM waves is affected by the amplitude of the waves, the distance from the source, and any obstructions or absorbers in the path of the waves. It is also influenced by the frequency and polarization of the waves.

How is the intensity of incoherent EM waves measured?

The intensity of incoherent EM waves can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a power meter or a spectrometer. These instruments measure the power of the EM waves at a specific location and can be used to calculate the intensity using the known area of the measurement surface.

Why is the intensity of incoherent EM waves important to study?

Understanding the intensity of incoherent EM waves is important in many fields, including telecommunications, medicine, and environmental science. It can help determine the potential health effects of exposure to EM radiation, as well as the effectiveness of different types of communication systems and the impact of EM waves on the environment.