Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions

• Thread starter ws0619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bluetooth
In summary: I hope this helps!In summary, Bluetooth can be used with FM transmitters, but you will need a license and might need more power than what is available on a BlueTooth device.
ws0619
Bluetooth can use??

Hi!I am planning to make a can size satellite.Normally we use FM(radio frequency) to transmit data from satellite to ground station.But can i use Bluetooth to replace FM?I know that Bluetooth is short-range frequency so any idea to solve this problem?Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Well, if you could, you would be committing a federal crime. What frequencies do you have authority to transmit on?

ws0619 said:
Hi!I am planning to make a can size satellite.Normally we use FM(radio frequency) to transmit data from satellite to ground station.But can i use Bluetooth to replace FM?I know that Bluetooth is short-range frequency so any idea to solve this problem?Thanks!

As Halls says, you need to be licensed in whatever band you use, unless you use the SIM band. And even in the ISM band (aka the "microwave oven band"), you are limited to something like 5W of power (I forget the numbers right now). With very directional antennas, you might be able to make it from low-earth orbit to the ground, but the antenna will be more like a meter long and 7-10cm wide. That's bigger than your satellite...

Thanks for advising me. But can I just buy a Blutooth device to modify it? Is it need license too?

ws0619 said:
Thanks for advising me. But can I just buy a Blutooth device to modify it? Is it need license too?

I don't know the FCC rules for putting high-gain antennas on BlueTooth devices. You could try asking at one of the BlueTooth online web forums.

I think power might be an issue as well. BlueTooth is optimized for short range applications, and power is limited to help avoid multi-device interference. You will need some power to get from orbit to the ground, depending on the frequency and type/size of antenna.

What is Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions?

Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions is a technology that allows for wireless communication between small satellites, typically the size of a can, using Bluetooth technology.

How does Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions work?

This technology works by using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) modules, which are small and low-power wireless transmitters, to establish connections between satellites. These BLE modules communicate with each other using radio waves, allowing for data transmission between satellites.

What are the advantages of using Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions?

Some of the advantages of using Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions include low power consumption, low cost, and the ability to establish connections between multiple satellites simultaneously. It also allows for easy integration with existing Bluetooth devices and infrastructure.

Are there any limitations to using Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions?

One limitation of this technology is its limited range, as Bluetooth typically has a range of around 10 meters. This may require close proximity between satellites or the use of relay satellites to extend the range. Additionally, the bandwidth of Bluetooth may be limited for certain types of data transmissions.

Is Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions being used currently?

Yes, Bluetooth for Can Size Satellite Transmissions is being used in various applications, such as satellite-to-satellite communication for data sharing and satellite tracking. It is also being researched for potential use in future satellite networks for data collection and transmission.