Solve Thermal Equation using Matlab Code - Help Needed | Hello PDE

In summary, the conversation is about solving a partial differential equation using Matlab. The equation includes terms for temperature, time, and spatial variables. The user is new to Matlab and requests help in solving the equation. They also mention using different thermal properties depending on the range of the spatial variable. The expert advises discretizing the derivatives and reducing the equation to a system of algebraic equations. The user is asked to provide their progress in order for the expert to provide further assistance.
psm1
Hi i Would like to solve the the following eqn using Matlab

Since I am new to Matlab, I would request u to help me in this regard
(∂^2 T)/〖∂r〗^2 + 1/r (∂T )/∂r+(∂^2 T)/〖∂z〗^2 = 1/α (∂T )/∂t+τ/α (∂^2 T)/〖∂t〗^2 - { (1+δ(t) )-(1+δ(t-tp) }*IoKa/k 〖exp( - 2r/σ^2 〗_^2)exp(-zka)

where δ(t) =76ns

Δz = 0.- 2.5
Δz = 2.5 - 50
Δr = 4

If Δz = 0.- 2.5, I have to use thermal properties of my material

if Δz = 2.5 - 50, I have to use thermal properties of glass.

Could u help me in this regards
Forward Message

Physics news on Phys.org
I referred you to the other thread so you could read it, not to post there.

What you need to do is discretize te derivatives of time and space and reduce your pde to a system of algebraic equations that can be solved as shown in the thread mentioned before.

Show us what you've done and then we'll know how to help you.

1. What is PDE?

PDE stands for Partial Differential Equation. It is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. PDEs are commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is Matlab?

Matlab is a programming language and software environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It is known for its powerful tools for data analysis, visualization, and numerical computation.

3. What is "Hello PDE" Matlab code?

"Hello PDE" is a simple code that solves a one-dimensional diffusion equation using the finite difference method. It is often used as a beginner's exercise in learning PDEs and Matlab programming.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge to use this code?

Yes, some basic knowledge of PDEs and Matlab programming is required to understand and use the code effectively. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of numerical methods and differential equations before attempting to use this code.

5. Can this code be modified for other types of PDEs?

Yes, the code can be modified for other types of PDEs by changing the initial conditions, boundary conditions, and the PDE itself. However, this will require a good understanding of the specific PDE and its numerical solution methods.