[VB6] Loudness of the microphone input signal.

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a program to register the loudness of a microphone input signal, and the use of a VB6 command to measure the loudness. The suggestion of using the WaveIn API is given, but the speaker is unsure of how to use it. They also mention the difficulty of using foreign functions in VB6 and the lack of support for the language.
cavemen
I am trying to create a program that would register it in a variable,
when loudness of the microphone input signal exceeds some level for some amount of time.

IS there a VB6 command that can allow me to measure the loudness of the input sound signal?

Not on the sound card input. I have a USB microphone.

Technology news on Phys.org
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446573.aspx
?

I don't know what WaveIn API is and how to use it.

Every foreign function in VB has to be declared in it's own bizarre way.
The only way to make program work is to copy-and-paste that function with it's unique declaration.

Thanks.

What is WaveIn API?

is there ane example of the code?

Last edited:
Thanks.

All the proposed code doesn't work in VB6.

Visual Basic 6 does not use any of the commands, proposed in this code.
It doesn't require memory allocation.

This is why microsoft doesn't support it anymore. It was simple and anybody could program it.

I use it to solve complex mathematical problems.

1. What is the loudness of the microphone input signal?

The loudness of the microphone input signal is a measure of the strength or amplitude of the electrical signal produced by the microphone in response to sound waves. It is often measured in decibels (dB) and can range from very quiet to very loud depending on the sound being picked up by the microphone.

2. How is the loudness of the microphone input signal measured?

The loudness of the microphone input signal can be measured using a sound level meter or by using audio software that has a built-in level meter. The level meter will display the loudness in decibels (dB) and can usually be adjusted to measure different ranges of loudness.

3. What factors can affect the loudness of the microphone input signal?

The loudness of the microphone input signal can be affected by a number of factors, including the distance between the microphone and the sound source, the sensitivity of the microphone, the type of microphone being used, and the surrounding environment (such as background noise or echoes).

4. How can I adjust the loudness of the microphone input signal?

The loudness of the microphone input signal can be adjusted in a few ways. Some microphones have built-in gain controls that allow you to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the microphone. Additionally, you can adjust the input volume in your audio software or use an external preamp or mixer to control the loudness of the microphone signal.

5. Why is it important to monitor the loudness of the microphone input signal?

Monitoring the loudness of the microphone input signal is important for ensuring that the audio being recorded or transmitted is at a suitable level. If the signal is too quiet, it may be difficult to hear or may get lost in background noise. If it is too loud, it can cause distortion and make the audio unpleasant to listen to. Monitoring the loudness can also help to prevent clipping, which is when the audio signal exceeds the maximum level and becomes distorted.