Acceleration due to gravity

In summary, the experiment with water balloons dropped from a specific height showed an acceleration that was not near 9.81m/s^2. This could be due to the balloon not being a rigid body and experiencing drag or air resistance. Additionally, the oscillations of the balloon and the approach towards terminal velocity could also affect the average acceleration measured over a long period of time.
psychosushi
I did an experiment with water balloons and i dropped it off at a specific height. The acceleration of the object is nowhere near 9.81m/s^2
Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF:

If you drop a rigid body, its acceleration due to gravity will be nearly 9,8 m/s^2
But the water balloon is not a rigid body.

rl.bhat said:
Welcome to PF:

If you drop a rigid body, its acceleration due to gravity will be nearly 9,8 m/s^2
But the water balloon is not a rigid body.

rigid as in?

psychosushi said:
rigid as in?
Well, rigid in this context means "doesn't deform in any way." Every point within that body remains at a fixed position relative to all the other points, and these relative positions don't change. This is an idealization. There is no such thing as a rigid body in real life.

If I had been answering your original question, I would have cited air resistance (drag) as something to be looked into. I.e. you are not dropping this thing in a vacuum, and therefore gravity is not the only force acting on it.

thank you very much
:)

psychosushi said:
I did an experiment with water balloons and i dropped it off at a specific height. The acceleration of the object is nowhere near 9.81m/s^2
Why is that?

What did you get for the acceleration?

Redbelly98 said:
What did you get for the acceleration?

More importantly, for what height and time did you make the measurements?

The oscillations of the balloon and the approach towards the terminal velocity (When the velocity is at the terminal velocity, the balloon will no longer accelerate) could have immense impacts on the average acceleration, flooring its value if you take a measurement over a long enough time.

What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. It is represented by the symbol "g" and has a value of approximately 9.8 m/s² near the Earth's surface.

How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

The formula for calculating acceleration due to gravity is: g = G * (m1 + m2) / r², where G is the gravitational constant (6.674 × 10^-11 m³/kg*s²), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. For example, on Mars, the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 3.7 m/s², while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s².

How does air resistance affect acceleration due to gravity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the acceleration due to gravity by slowing down the rate at which an object falls. This is because as an object falls, the air resistance increases, eventually balancing out the force of gravity and causing the object to reach a terminal velocity.

Can the acceleration due to gravity change?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can change depending on the location and conditions. For example, at higher altitudes, the acceleration due to gravity decreases slightly due to the increased distance from the Earth's center. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and the presence of other celestial bodies can also affect the acceleration due to gravity.