Speed of Sound in water given frequency

In summary, the question at hand is about the speed of a 190 Hz sound wave traveling through fresh water. The relationship between frequency, wavelength, and speed is important to consider, and in this case, the speed of the wave does not depend on the frequency. The given information includes a speed of sound in water of 1493 m/s, but it is unclear if a value for the bulk modulus of water was provided.
jdg
A 190 Hz sound traveling in fresh water has speed of?
I'm not sure which equations to use, or where to start. I tried wavelength = V/f , with V being constant, 1493 m/sAny help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the speed or the wavelength in this problem (the question indicates speed while your work indicates wavelength)? If the question is about speed, what do you know about the speed of a wave through a particular medium? If the question is about wavelength, what is the relationship between the frequency, wavelength, and speed of a wave?

I know it has something to do with the density of the medium, but I'm not sure what the equation is

-the density of fresh water is 1000 kg/m3

I'm guessing the question is about the speed of the wave then? Well, just to get you thinking, in air at a constant temperature, what is the difference in speed (if any) between a sound wave with a frequency of 200 Hz and a sound wave with a frequency of 400 Hz?

I would think that at a constant temperature the speed would be constant?

Correct! So what does this suggest about the pertinence of the frequecy of the wave in this problem?

the frequency won't change the speed in water?

No, it suggests that the speed of the wave doesn't depend on the frequency!

so it doesn't matter what the frequency is, the speed of sound remains the same in the water?

Yup, assuming that the water is at a constant temperature.

so how do I find that speed with the given information?

Well, you've already provided a speed of sound in water (you did in the first post)!

jdg said:
so how do I find that speed with the given information?

Google it. Since you all ready said that the frequency doesn't have anything to do with the actual speed.

You said, in your first post: "wavelength = V/f , with V being constant, 1493 m/s".

If you were trying to find the wavelength, given the frequency, you could use that formula. But you said you were trying to find the speed of sound in water which, as you said, is 1493 m/s!

I used the constant, 1493 m/s, which is given in my text for SoS in fresh water, it came out wrong

Were you given a value for the bulk modulus of water?

1. What is the speed of sound in water at a given frequency?

The speed of sound in water depends on several factors, including temperature, pressure, and salinity. However, at a frequency of 1 kHz, the average speed of sound in seawater is approximately 1531 meters per second.

2. Does the speed of sound in water vary with frequency?

Yes, the speed of sound in water does vary with frequency. As the frequency increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is because higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths, which are better able to travel through the denser medium of water.

3. How does the speed of sound in water compare to the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in water is significantly faster than the speed of sound in air. At room temperature, the speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second, while in water it is around 1498 meters per second. This is due to the fact that water is a denser medium than air, allowing sound waves to travel more efficiently.

4. Can the speed of sound in water be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of sound in water can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and salinity. For example, as water temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. Additionally, changes in pressure and salinity can also impact the speed of sound in water.

5. How is the speed of sound in water measured?

The speed of sound in water can be measured using a variety of methods, including sonar technology and acoustic signals. Scientists also use mathematical models and experiments to determine the speed of sound in water at different frequencies, taking into account external factors such as temperature and pressure.