Integrating Tensor on Riemannian 2-Manifold at Point p

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a tensor on a local neighborhood of a riemannian 2-manifold. The goal is to determine if the linear momentum is conserved using intrinsic quantities. One method mentioned is to define a parallel vector field and do a dot product with the tensor. However, the validity of this method is questioned and the use of Stokes's theorem is suggested as an alternative. The ultimate goal is to understand the derivation of the Navier-Stokes equations on a manifold.
GPPaille
I have a riemannian 2-manifold (Let's say a sphere) and a tensor of order 1 (momentum), defined on the manifold. I want to integrate the tensor on a local neighborhood around a point p.

More precisely, I want to know if the linear momentum is conserved on that part of the manifold using only intrinsic quantities. In a book, they say that they define a parallel vector field on that neighborhood so they can do a dot product between the two tensors. But I'm really not convinced of this method because there no "absolute" parallel field on surface and each field will give different result.

How can I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't integrate 1-forms on a 2-manifold. If you want to find out whether it's conserved, you can either integrate it around every possible closed path, or find out whether it's closed and use Stokes's theorem.

wouldnt your local neighborhood be locally euclidean?

siyphsc:
Yes but I consider a finite part of the surface, where curvature can't be ignored.

zhentil:
I know that I can't integrate a 1-form, that's why they define another vector field so they do a dot product and obtain a scalar. Integrating this scalar is supposed to give the momentum component in the direction of the vector field. The ultimate goal is to fully understand the derivation of the Navier-Stokes equations on a manifold, and the only book I know do it the way I explained above. They use Stokes theorem, here's what they say:

[tex]T^{ab}[/tex] is the stress tensor, [tex]V^{a} (resp. A^a)[/tex] is the velocity (resp. acceleration) of the fluid and [tex]\rho[/tex] is the density. Let an arbitrary parallel field of covariant surface vectors [tex]l_b[/tex] be defined on the surface. If we make a balance of linear momentum in the direction of the parallel field,

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_S{\int{\rho V^a l_a dA}} = \int_S{\int{\rho A^a l_a dA}}=\oint_C{T^{ab}m_a l_b ds}[/tex]

Where S is a finite part of the surface, C is the boundary of S and [tex]m_a[/tex] is a vector normal to the curve C and tangent to S. Using Stokes theorem we have

[tex]\int_S{\int{\left[\rho A^a - T^{ab}_{,b}\right] l_a dA}} = 0[/tex]

Since S and [tex]l_a[/tex] are arbitrary,

[tex]\rho A^a = T^{ab}_{,b}[/tex]

So the first question, is it valid (and why). If it's not, how can I obtain the same kind of result using a correct derivation. Integrating over all closed loops seems hard to define mathematically.

Last edited:

What is a Riemannian 2-manifold?

A Riemannian 2-manifold is a two-dimensional surface that is equipped with a metric, which is a mathematical concept that allows for the measurement of distance and angles on the surface. This metric is used to define the geometry of the manifold.

What is a tensor on a Riemannian 2-manifold?

A tensor on a Riemannian 2-manifold is a mathematical object that represents a multilinear map between vectors and covectors on the manifold. It describes how these quantities change as you move from one point to another on the surface.

What does it mean to integrate a tensor on a Riemannian 2-manifold at a point p?

Integrating a tensor on a Riemannian 2-manifold at a point p means computing the average value of the tensor over a small neighborhood around the point p. This involves taking into account the geometry of the manifold and the metric at that point.

Why is integrating a tensor on a Riemannian 2-manifold important?

Integrating a tensor on a Riemannian 2-manifold allows us to calculate important quantities such as curvature and volume, which have applications in various fields of science and engineering. It also helps us understand the geometry of the manifold and its properties at a specific point.

What are some practical applications of integrating a tensor on a Riemannian 2-manifold?

Integrating a tensor on a Riemannian 2-manifold has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include calculating gravitational forces in general relativity, optimizing shapes in engineering design, and analyzing data on non-linear surfaces in machine learning algorithms.