Paris Hilton Builds $325,000 house for her dogs

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary, the house for her dogs cost more than most American family homes and Conan O'Brien points out that she could have spent her money in a more sensible way.
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that figure? It is not mentioned in the linked article.

negitron said:
Where did you get that figure? It is not mentioned in the linked article.

Conan O'Brien

gravenewworld said:
That house for her dogs cost more than most American family homes.

So what do you propose: instead of her spending her money she should give it all out to the poor so they can buy homes?

By the way: I don't know about "silver spoon", since she's a millionaire in her own right. Furthermore, the majority of her (potential) inheritance has been given to charity/pledged to have been given to charity. Should she give away all her earned money as well?

Last edited:
cristo said:
So what do you propose: instead of her spending her money she should give it all out to the poor so they can buy homes?

Yes, clearly.

You guys are missing the point. They are REALLY cool dogs.

I'm sure the architect, the builders, the plumber, the electrician, ... all appreciate the work.

God bless the silver spoon and American capitalism. That house for her dogs cost more than most American family homes.
So, what's the problem?

gravenewworld said:
Conan O'Brien

Oh, yeah. There's a reputable news source. :rolleyes:

CRGreathouse said:
I'm sure the architect, the builders, the plumber, the electrician, ... all appreciate the work.

Hey now there's one way of looking at it. Money out of her hands and into the hands of people who do real work.

negitron said:

Hey, Conan O'Brian is considered by most americans to be a far more trustworthy source of news then the other news sources such as Jimmy Kimbel, Jay Leno, and that hack Carson Daily who was caught up in Laughgate.

CRGreathouse said:

OMG its a redistribution of wealth! Those dogs are commies.

You know, with kind of spending, I would bet we could calculate a significant carbon paw print.

negitron said:

Sorry, but Nature and Science don't run a section on pop culture and give the latest run down on the red carpet etc. Maybe you don't know how the intro for late night stand up works a lot of times. 1.) Host introduces a true news story as the set up and then 2.) gives the punchline to the joke. My bad, maybe you trust someone like Perez Hilton more?

http://perezhilton.com/2009-08-05-listen-up-doug-paris-dog-house-is-damn-comfortable

gravenewworld said:
Sorry, but Nature and Science don't run a section on pop culture and give the latest run down on the red carpet etc.

Thank goodness. I really don't give a damn about what some overblown celebrities do; they're not relevant to me. As noted, however much money they spend is immaterial--it all goes back into the economy. Complaining about it as wasteful is both incorrect and pointless.

From the pictures I just looked up, it doesn't look all that special to me. What makes it cost so much?
What a dumb thing to spend so much money on.
I guess anything for her to stay in the news. Though at this point she's hanging on for dear life.

She's wealthy and she can afford it and she wants it. I don't really see the problem. If you're jealous of her wealth that's one thing but are you suggesting that wealthy people should have some responsibility to spend their money in way deemed sensible to you? If you think you could spend that money better then go out and MAKE THAT MONEY. Then you to can say how wisely you spent your $350,000.

These kind of news serves as an eye opener to the world's disparity in economic norm. It is natural to feel uneasy to see more than half of the humans in the world are less privileged than these dogs. (do google image search on "poverty").

I don't think OP is jealous on Paris Hilton's money nor he's seriously suggesting the best way to spend money (well, he's not an economist, so don't expect that from him). It's more of an impulse reaction for the reasons I mentioned above.

jobyts said:
These kind of news serves as an eye opener to the world's disparity in economic norm. It is natural to feel uneasy to see more than half of the humans in the world are less privileged than these dogs. (do google image search on "poverty").

I don't think OP is jealous on Paris Hilton's money nor he's seriously suggesting the best way to spend money (well, he's not an economist, so don't expect that from him). It's more of an impulse reaction for the reasons I mentioned above.

Yes but african poverty is not due to the west hording resources (at least not anymore). There are enough resources for both africa and the west to be "wealthy". Paris Hilton's extravagant spending is neither the cause of nor contributes to third world poverty (arguably it reduces it)

gravenewworld said:
http://perezhilton.com/2009-08-05-listen-up-doug-paris-dog-house-is-damn-comfortable
Perez Hilton?? Ahahaha, a "celebrity" gossip blogger? :rofl: grave, do you read any mainstream news sources?

Evo said:
Perez Hilton?? Ahahaha, a "celebrity" gossip blogger? :rofl: grave, do you read any mainstream news sources?

I feel like this guy is gathering all kinds of pointless ire. Perez Hilton IS a reputable celebrity gossip site (if there exists such a thing), in fact I think it might be the biggest and most well known (if not smokinggun). Furthermore, does anyone seriously doubt his information? Are you attacking this guy because you DON'T believe Paris Hilton spent $350,000 on a dog house or simply because you don't care and you find celebrity gossip pedestrian? You may find celebrity gossip a silly waste of time (I know I do) but that's not this guy's fault and it certainly has no bearing on what he posted; whether or not it is ridiculous that Paris Hilton did this.

maverick_starstrider said:
Yes but african poverty is not due to the west hording resources (at least not anymore). There are enough resources for both africa and the west to be "wealthy". Paris Hilton's extravagant spending is neither the cause of nor contributes to third world poverty (arguably it reduces it)

True. And if you reread my post, that's not what I was suggesting. I'm not suggesting Paris Hilton's spending causes third world poverty. I'm comparing the life style difference of those dogs to some of the humans in a different part of the world. I'm not analyzing a root cause.

jobyts said:
True. And if you reread my post, that's not what I was suggesting. I'm not suggesting Paris Hilton's spending causes third world poverty. I'm comparing the life style difference of those dogs to some of the humans in a different part of the world. I'm not analyzing a root cause.

So what you're saying is that Paris Hilton should keep africans as pets... ;) (kidding)

leroyjenkens said:
From the pictures I just looked up, it doesn't look all that special to me. What makes it cost so much?
What a dumb thing to spend so much money on.
I guess anything for her to stay in the news. Though at this point she's hanging on for dear life.

Because it is furnished with things like a crystal chandelier and things from faux high end designers like Jimmy "Chew" and Vera "Wag".

Evo said:

You don't know Perez Hilton? Celebrity gossip is mostly covered in tabloids which are always from fringe or eccentric sources.

She's wealthy and she can afford it and she wants it. I don't really see the problem. If you're jealous of her wealth that's one thing but are you suggesting that wealthy people should have some responsibility to spend their money in way deemed sensible to you? If you think you could spend that money better then go out and MAKE THAT MONEY. Then you to can say how wisely you spent your $350,000.

Nah, what makes me mad is that people like her have probably never worked a day in her life and were born with silver spoons in their mouth to the point where they have enough money to waste on something as stupid as a $325,000 house for some dogs.

gravenewworld said:
Nah, what makes me mad is that people like her have probably never worked a day in her life and were born with silver spoons in their mouth to the point where they have enough money to waste on something as stupid as a $325,000 house for some dogs.

And when you're rich and famous you will spend your money on children's hospitals in africa. Those people who have less money always think they'll be much better with their money if they were rich. The thing is a lot (perhaps most) of "wasteful" rich people WERE once poor people, which is why the feel entitled to spend so extravagently. Or perhaps you feel that if you became rich through nothing but "pure", "american" effort that your children should not receive the benefits of your labor?

P.S. after I read your post I was like "Some folks are born, silver spoon in hand, Lord don't they help themselves, oh..."

So what you're saying is that Paris Hilton should keep africans as pets... ;) (kidding)

Ah, that was almost funny.

gravenewworld said:
You don't know Perez Hilton? Celebrity gossip is mostly covered in tabloids which are always from fringe or eccentric sources.
I *am* familiar with Perez hilton. I'm not into celebrity gossip. Does he have the receipts?

Evo said:
Does he have the receipts?

I doubt you're going to get a reference from a "real" source. After all, most of us don't really care about this sort of stuff!

cristo said:
I doubt you're going to get a reference from a "real" source. After all, most of us don't really care about this sort of stuff!

If you go onto People Magazine's site and just seach "Paris Hilton Dog" you don't find a direct quote on the cost of her dog house but you do find stuff like her dog food cost $300 a bag and such. It's all pretty irrelevant. The fact that Paris Hilton frivolously spends large quantities of money is no secret.

cristo said:
Exactly! The people that read these gossip columns are the sames ones giving her the millions she makes. :tongue2:

Evo said:
Exactly! The people that read these gossip columns are the sames ones giving her the millions she makes. :tongue2:

*shrug* How is that any different then professional sports or manned NASA missions or talk show hosts or self-help speakers?

My question is how do I go about becoming one of Paris Hilton's dogs

*shrug* How is that any different then professional sports or manned NASA missions or talk show hosts or self-help speakers?
Except for the NASA missions, which have some scientific merit, professional sports and talk shows, neither of which I watch, are entertainment, self help speakers are snake oil salesmen.