Did the Apollo Missions Use an Atomic Clock for Time Dilation Experiments?

In summary: Apollo missions. The state of the art in 1970 was that atomic clocks were easily transportable and the display and output processing equipment was often huge. However, an atomic clock was later rumored to have been sent on an Apollo mission for different purposes and classified as top secret. Atomic clocks were also being considered for military applications, such as collision avoidance and navigation systems, and aerial refueling in foul weather. However, the military was not interested in using atomic clocks for time dilation experiments. In summary, atomic clocks were not taken on Apollo missions and were instead used for different purposes such as military applications and time dilation experiments on jets.
bozo the clown
Did they take an atomic clock on one of the Apollo missions for time dilation experiment if not why not ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No atomic clock went on an Apollo mission. Check the history of Atomic clocks, what was the state of the art in 1970? I'll bet they were pretty big. The Apollo missions had very little meaningful scientific payload, the majority of the payload was devoted to life support for the tourists.

Hi. I'm not a science guy but know for certain my dad was leader of the engineering group that built the instruments used for the time dilation experiment. They were sent on jets at high altitude several times around the world. The state of the art in 1970 was that the clocks were easily rack mounted or placed in a slightly oversize padded suitcase and could be picked up by one man. The display and output processing equipment was often huge, several times the size of the clock, but was not needed in every testing situation. Several of a similar style clock was sold to the NBS in Colorado and was later available through HP's T&F division. I was told by dad in the 1990's a clock was sent on the Apollo mission but used for different purposes and classified as top secret. (but the return data backed up the air flight data and had a longer/faster base line so it started the rumor that an atomic clock was sent for that test) In 1965 dad and I discussed using several clocks as part of a collision avoidance and navigation system for military applications in jets (strategic bombers) and ballistic missiles...the beginnings of GPS. While he seldom brought his work home I saw a drawing of orbiting satellite clocks sending synchronous signals coupled to radar transponders at breakfast one morning. He was quite proud of the idea and we talked about it for an hour or so before I left for high school. He thought the private use of atomic clock navigation might be far better than military ones because he felt it could be made accurate enough to prevent commercial mid air collisions. I think the direction that it was headed for the military (aside from missiles) was for aerial refueling in foul weather. The aircraft had to "find" each other to within a few yards to let the coupling hardware work. The military didn't give a damn about time dilation. That was something dad and a few buddies realized was possible to test so they wrote a proposal with some other guys interested in science and got approval for a flight to prove/promote the products accuracy to potential instrument buyers.

Hi Ladd,
thanks for your interesting little historical note.

M

What is atomic clock time dilation?

Atomic clock time dilation is a phenomenon that occurs when the time recorded by an atomic clock, which is a highly precise time-keeping device, is different from the time recorded by a clock on Earth's surface. This is due to the effects of gravity and speed on time.

Why is atomic clock time dilation important?

Atomic clock time dilation is important because it helps us understand the effects of gravity and speed on time. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise timekeeping for accurate positioning.

How does atomic clock time dilation occur?

Atomic clock time dilation occurs because of the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be affected by gravity and speed. As objects move at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, time appears to slow down for them compared to stationary objects.

What is the difference between gravitational time dilation and velocity time dilation?

Gravitational time dilation occurs due to the difference in gravitational fields, while velocity time dilation occurs due to the difference in relative velocities between two objects. Both phenomena contribute to atomic clock time dilation, but in different ways.

How is atomic clock time dilation measured?

Atomic clock time dilation is measured by comparing the time recorded by an atomic clock on a moving object or in a strong gravitational field with the time recorded by a stationary atomic clock on Earth's surface. This difference in time is known as the time dilation factor and can be calculated using mathematical equations derived from the theory of relativity.