Explaining the Science Behind Boiling Water with Ice | Homework Solution

In summary, the student is asking for an explanation of a science experiment their teacher performed, involving boiling water in a flask using a bunsen burner and then boiling it again using ice. The student mentions Boyle's Law and the principle of boiling, but is unsure why the pressure dropped inside the flask. They also mention the concept of rapid evaporation and ask for clarification. The response explains that the pressure dropped because the steam in the flask cooled, and also clarifies what rapid evaporation is.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

I need to explain what happened here...

My teacher boiled water in a flask using a bunsen burner. Then he stoppered the flask and turned it upside down and boiled the water using ice.

Homework Equations

• Boyle’s Law is the principle that at a constant temperature the volume of a confined ideal gas varies inversely with its pressure.
• Boiling - A liquid boils at a temperature at which its vapor pressure is equal to the pressure of the gas above it. The lower the pressure of a gas above a liquid, the lower the temperature at which the liquid will boil.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I looked it up, and I don't quite understand it. Heres a website that explained it (http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00894.htm). What I don't get is why the pressure dropped inside the flask?

Physics news on Phys.org
My teacher also said we needed to know what rapid evaporation was. I looked it up online, but couldn't find any clear explanations on it, so if any of you guys know, please explain it =D

The pressure dropped in the flask because the steam in the stoppered flask cooled. Turning the flask upside-down brought the steam into contact with the cooler part of the flask. As the steam cooled, water condensed from it leaving the remaining air in the flask at lower pressure. This enables the water to boil at a lower temperature.

That's my explanation...

1. Can you boil water with ice?

Yes, it is possible to boil water with ice. This process is known as the Mpemba effect, where water can freeze at a higher temperature than its boiling point under certain conditions.

2. How does boiling water with ice work?

Boiling water with ice works by increasing the temperature of the ice to its melting point, which then turns it into liquid water. As the liquid water is heated, the molecules gain energy and start to move faster, eventually reaching the boiling point and turning into steam.

3. Is it safe to boil water with ice?

Yes, it is safe to boil water with ice as long as precautions are taken. It is important to use heat-resistant containers and to handle the hot water and steam carefully to avoid burns. Additionally, make sure to use clean ice to avoid any contaminants in the water.

4. What are the benefits of boiling water with ice?

Boiling water with ice can save time and energy compared to boiling water using a traditional method. It also allows for the use of colder water, which can be beneficial for certain recipes or drinks that require a specific temperature.

5. What are some practical applications of boiling water with ice?

Boiling water with ice can be useful in emergency situations where there is limited access to a heat source. It can also be used in cooking to quickly cool down hot foods or to create a cold infusion for drinks. Additionally, it can be used in scientific experiments to study the Mpemba effect and properties of water.