Cal III S reparametrization problem

• Thread starter crims0ned
  • Start date
In summary: Do you mean that your new parameter s(t)[/itex] is supposed to represent the arclength from \textbf{r}(0) to \textbf{r}(t)?So, [tex]s=\int_0^t...dt \sqrt{\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2}[/tex]yes, that is correct.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving reparametrizing a curve and finding the integral of a function involving the parameter t. The conversation delves into various methods and strategies for solving the problem, including using trigonometric substitutions and completing the square
crims0ned
Question:
reparametrize the curve r(t)=<cos(t)-tcos(t), sin(t)-tsin(t)> : t=0

I know I need to integrate the mag from zero to t but it's not working.

got down to the integral of sqrt((t^2)-2t+1) and after a u-sub and a theta sub I got the integral of sec(theta). Then got natural log(sec(theta)+tan(theta)) but if i back sub in I get ln(0) first of all and then a bunch of other nasty problems just i try to solve for t in terms of s.

I actually got sqrt((t^2)-2*t+2)

the equation for the reparametrization should be s=diffident integral( sqrt((dx/dt)^2)+(dy/dt)^2).

I first get sqrt((sin(t)+(t-1)cos(t))^2 + (-sin(t)(1-t)-cos(t))^2)

= sqrt(((t^2)-2t+2)(sin(t)^2+cos(t)^2))... sin(t)^2+cos(t)^2 becomes 1

now I'm left with strictly the integral of sqrt((t^2)-2t+2) evaluated from zero to t

I completed the square and got sqrt((t-1)^2 + 1) then u-subbed u=t-1

so integral sqrt(u^2 + 1) i then i used a trig sub to get to just the integral of sec^3(theta)

so now i have the integral of sec^3(theta) which equals (1/2)sqrt((t-1)^2 + 1)*(t-1) + (1/2)ln(t + sqrt((t-1)^2 + 1) - 1)

and I have to evaluate this from zero to t

...okay and here's my real problem. This question began and a reparametrization so I have to solve for t in terms of s. Other then this being some algebra I haven't worked in a while, I think I can solve it but is there a trig i.d. i missed in the beginning or something? because I don't think a s-parametrization should be this complicated, but maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of sqrt(t^2-2*t+1) shouldn't be that hard if you notice t^2-2*t+1=(t-1)^2.

crims0ned said:
Question:
reparametrize the curve r(t)=<cos(t)-tcos(t), sin(t)-tsin(t)> : t=0

I know I need to integrate the mag from zero to t but it's not working.

got down to the integral of sqrt((t^2)-2t+1) and after a u-sub and a theta sub I got the integral of sec(theta). Then got natural log(sec(theta)+tan(theta)) but if i back sub in I get ln(0) first of all and then a bunch of other nasty problems just i try to solve for t in terms of s.

[tex]\sqrt{t^2-2t+1}=\sqrt{(t-1)^2}=|t-1|=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}t-1, & t\geq1 \\ 1-t, & t \leq1\end{array}\right.[/tex]

You shouldn't have much trouble integrating that.:wink:

Edit Dick beat me to it:cry:

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
[tex]\sqrt{t^2-t+1}=\sqrt{(t-1)^2}=|t-1|=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}t-1, & t\geq1 \\ 1-t, & t \leq1\end{array}\right.[/tex]

You shouldn't have much trouble integrating that.:wink:

Edit Dick beat me to it:cry:
Gabba2hey, you omitted a 2 in the first radical...
[tex]\sqrt{t^2-\bold{2}t+1}=\sqrt{(t-1)^2}=|t-1|=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}t-1, & t\geq1 \\ 1-t, & t \leq1\end{array}\right.[/tex]

Mark44 said:
Gabba2hey, you omitted a 2 in the first radical...
[tex]\sqrt{t^2-\bold{2}t+1}=\sqrt{(t-1)^2}=|t-1|=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}t-1, & t\geq1 \\ 1-t, & t \leq1\end{array}\right.[/tex]

Good eye, just a typo though.

crims0ned said:
I actually got sqrt((t^2)-2*t+2)

the equation for the reparametrization should be s=diffident integral( sqrt((dx/dt)^2)+(dy/dt)^2).

I first get sqrt((sin(t)+(t-1)cos(t))^2 + (-sin(t)(1-t)-cos(t))^2)

= sqrt(((t^2)-2t+2)(sin(t)^2+cos(t)^2))... sin(t)^2+cos(t)^2 becomes 1

now I'm left with strictly the integral of sqrt((t^2)-2t+2) evaluated from zero to t

I completed the square and got sqrt((t-1)^2 + 1) then u-subbed u=t-1

so integral sqrt(u^2 + 1) i then i used a trig sub to get to just the integral of sec^3(theta)

so now i have the integral of sec^3(theta) which equals (1/2)sqrt((t-1)^2 + 1)*(t-1) + (1/2)ln(t + sqrt((t-1)^2 + 1) - 1)

and I have to evaluate this from zero to t

...okay and here's my real problem. This question began and a reparametrization so I have to solve for t in terms of s. Other then this being some algebra I haven't worked in a while, I think I can solve it but is there a trig i.d. i missed in the beginning or something? because I don't think a s-parametrization should be this complicated, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's better to simply add a new reply rather than edit your original response. If Mark hadn't replied, I never would have noticed your edited post (and I'm not sure Dick would have either), and you may never have gotten further replies.

I think its best if you post the entire original problem, word for word. (In a new reply!) So that we can see exactly what you are being asked to do.

I can't speak for Dick or Mark, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean be s-reparameterization. Is there some specific property that you would like your new paramater [itex]s[/itex] to satisfy, or is this just some random reparameterization?

we've been using s reparametrizations just as kind of random parametrization i guess. pretty much it seems to be finding the arc-length and evaluating it from some number (t sub not) to an indefinite t. And what ever we come up with we then solve for t is terms of s and substitute it back into the original equation.

crims0ned said:
we've been using s reparametrizations just as kind of random parametrization i guess. pretty much it seems to be finding the arc-length and evaluating it from some number (t sub not) to an indefinite t. And what ever we come up with we then solve for t is terms of s and substitute it back into the original equation.

Do you mean that your new parameter [tex]s(t)[/itex] is supposed to represent the arclength from [itex]\textbf{r}(0)[/itex] to [itex]\textbf{r}(t)[/itex]?

So, [tex]s=\int_0^t ||\textbf{r}'(\overline{t})||d\overline{t}[/tex]

Last edited:
the equation is this [tex]s= \int \sqrt{(dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2+(dz/dt)^2} dt [/tex] evaluated from some starting t to t

Okay, and your original curve [itex]\textbf{r}(t)[/itex] is ____ ?

Yes, that's it, just the magnitude of dr/dt. Are you familiar with these types of problems? Because all of the ones I've worked pier to this and everything in my calculus book always out really clean.

the original problem is [tex] r(t)=<cos(t)-tcos(t), sin(t)-tsin(t)> ; t=o [/tex]

there seems to be only an [tex] i [/tex] and [tex] j [/tex] component

Okay, so you seem to have correctly gotten to the point where you are trying to evaluate

[tex]\int_{-1}^{t-1} \sqrt{u^2+1}du[/tex]

Right?

From here, try using integration by parts once...what do you get?

once i got to [tex]\int_{-1}^{t-1} \sqrt{u^2+1}du[/tex] i trig subbed and got [tex]\int sec^3(\theta) d\theta[/tex] but can i change the limits along with the variable and still solve for [tex] s [/tex]?

crims0ned said:
once i got to [tex]\int_{-1}^{t-1} \sqrt{u^2+1}du[/tex] i trig subbed and got [tex]\int sec^3(\theta) d\theta[/tex] but can i change the limits along with the variable and still solve for [tex] s [/tex]?

Well, if [itex]u=\tan\theta[/itex], then your limits on [itex]\theta[/itex] will be [itex]\tan^{-1}(-1)[/itex] and [itex]\tan^{-1}(t-1)[/itex].

Personally, I think that using integration by parts is easier than trying to integrate [itex]\int\sec^3\theta d\theta[/itex], but it's up to you.

What is the "Cal III S reparametrization problem"?

The "Cal III S reparametrization problem" is a mathematical problem that deals with finding a new parametrization for a given curve or surface in three-dimensional space. It is a common problem in Calculus III, also known as Multivariable Calculus.

Why is the "Cal III S reparametrization problem" important?

The "Cal III S reparametrization problem" is important because it allows us to simplify and analyze complex curves and surfaces by finding a new parametrization that is easier to work with. It also helps us to better understand the properties and behavior of these mathematical objects.

What are the key steps in solving the "Cal III S reparametrization problem"?

The key steps in solving the "Cal III S reparametrization problem" include defining the original parametrization, determining the new parametrization variables, setting up the reparametrization equations, and solving for the new parametrization variables. Additionally, it is important to check for consistency and make sure the new parametrization accurately represents the original curve or surface.

What are some common challenges when solving the "Cal III S reparametrization problem"?

Some common challenges when solving the "Cal III S reparametrization problem" include choosing appropriate new parametrization variables, ensuring the new parametrization accurately represents the original curve or surface, and dealing with complex algebraic manipulations.

How can the "Cal III S reparametrization problem" be applied in real-world situations?

The "Cal III S reparametrization problem" has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects in three-dimensional space or to simplify the equations for calculating the surface area or volume of complex objects. It can also be applied in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic curves and surfaces.