Orientability of Complex Manifolds.

In summary: The determinant of a complex map is always complex valued. - The orientability of a complex manifold is equivalent to the orientability of its real counterpart, which can be decomposed into a set of connected real 2n-manifolds.
Bacle
Hi, everyone: I am trying to show that any complex manifold is orientable.

I know this has to see with properties of Gl(n;C) (C complexes, of course.) ;

specifically, with Gl(n;C) being connected (as a Lie Group.). Now this means

that the determinant map must be either always pos. or always negative, but

I am not clear on why it is not always negative.

Also, I am confused about the fact that the determinant may be complex-valued,

so that it does not make sense to say it is positive or negative.

Any Ideas.?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
With regard to GL(n,C):

The determinant still can be anything except for 0. Except in this case 'anything' means any complex number instead of any real number like you're probably more familiar with. So with real numbers, if you remove zero you get two disconnected sets. If you just remove 0 from the complex plane you're left with a set that is still connected

Thanks. So how can I then show that complex manifolds are orientable.?.

I had been told that properties of Gl(n;C) gave the answer, but I cannot see

why/how.

Manifold is orientable if and only if the chart transitions can be chosen to be orientation-preserving (i.e. Jacobian positive). Holomorphic maps certainly do that.

I can see that for one complex variable, where we can may be use conformality,
but it does not seem so clear for many complex variables.

I also wonder if we're given a complex n-manifold N, if the orientability of N is
equivalent to the orientability of the equivalent real 2n-manifold that we get by
"decomplexifying" N.

Think of the standard embedding of GL(n,C) into GL(2n,R).

I think this works.

- the tangent bundle of a complex manifold has a complex structure. This is because the coordinate charts lie in GL(n:C)

any complex vector space has a canonical orientation. Choose any basis x1, x2, ..., xn and extend it to a real basis, x1 ix1 x2 ix2, ...xn ixn. This ordering defines an orientation of the underlying real vector space. The choice is independent of the choice of basis x1 ... xn because GL(n;C) is path connected.

1. What is the definition of orientability for complex manifolds?

Orientability refers to the ability of a complex manifold to have a consistent notion of "clockwise" or "counterclockwise" orientation for its tangent spaces at each point. This means that for any two tangent vectors at a point, there is a well-defined way to determine which one is counterclockwise from the other.

2. How is orientability related to the concept of a complex structure?

Orientability is closely tied to the concept of a complex structure on a manifold. A complex structure is a smooth assignment of complex tangent spaces at each point of a manifold, and it is said to be orientable if it is compatible with the orientation of the manifold. In other words, the complex structure must preserve the orientation of the manifold's tangent spaces.

3. Can a complex manifold be non-orientable?

Yes, it is possible for a complex manifold to be non-orientable. This means that there is no consistent way to define a clockwise or counterclockwise orientation for the tangent spaces at each point. Non-orientability can occur when the complex structure on the manifold is not compatible with its orientation, or when the manifold has a non-trivial topology.

4. How does orientability affect the behavior of complex functions on a manifold?

Orientability can have an impact on the behavior of complex functions on a manifold. For orientable manifolds, the complex structure is well-behaved and can be used to define holomorphic functions. However, for non-orientable manifolds, the complex structure may not be well-defined, leading to complications in the study of complex functions on the manifold.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the orientability of complex manifolds?

Yes, the orientability of complex manifolds has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, the orientability of a manifold can affect the behavior of particles moving on the manifold. In computer science, understanding the orientability of a manifold can help with the development of efficient algorithms for data analysis on complex datasets.