Mechanics; speed of car travelling around bend.

In summary, the conversation discusses a car travelling on a curved stretch of flat roadway with a radius of 112m. The horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted on a passenger are given as x=220N and Y=530N respectively. The conversation then moves on to two questions: a) determining the speed of the car, and b) finding the speed at which the car can negotiate the curve without relying on frictional forces, after the road is banked at an angle of 20 degrees. Relevant equations are mentioned but not entirely sure of their applicability. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation Fc=mv2/r for question a) and v2 = rgtan(theta) for question b).
axdv

Homework Statement

A car goes around a curved stretch of flat roadway of radius 112m. The magnitudes of the horizontal and vertical components of force the car exerts on a securely seated passenger are, respectively, x= 220N and Y= 530N.

a) At what speed is the car travelling?

b) This stretch of highway is a notorius hazard during the winter months when it can be quite slippery. Accordingly the LTSA decides to bank it at an angle of 20degrees to the horizontal. At what speed could the car now negotiate this curve without needing to rely on any frictional force to prevent it slipping upwards of downwards on the banked surface?

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure of relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) for this question i tried using the equation Fc = mv2 /r this gave me a v value of 21.36 however the correct answer to this question is 76.8. Is there another step which I have missed out, or am I approaching the problem wrong?

b) for this question I used the equation v2 = rgtan(theta) which produces a v value of 4 once again the correct answer is 72. If i subtract 4 from the correct value from (a) this gives me the correct answer, is this a correct method of obtaining the answer or just a coincidence?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ad a) my guess is that you got your answer in m/s, and the answer in the book is in km/h. They are hence the same.

What is the relationship between speed and centripetal force when a car is travelling around a bend?

The speed of a car travelling around a bend is directly proportional to the centripetal force acting on the car. This means that as the speed of the car increases, the centripetal force required to keep it moving in a curved path also increases.

What factors affect the speed of a car travelling around a bend?

The speed of a car around a bend is affected by several factors, including the radius of the bend, the mass of the car, the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road, and the centripetal force applied by the tires.

How does the mass of a car affect its speed around a bend?

The mass of a car has a direct impact on its speed around a bend. A heavier car will require a greater centripetal force to maintain a certain speed around a bend, compared to a lighter car.

What is the maximum speed a car can safely travel around a bend?

The maximum safe speed for a car to travel around a bend depends on several factors, including the radius of the bend, the condition of the road surface, and the type of tires on the car. It is important for drivers to adhere to posted speed limits and adjust their speed based on road conditions.

What happens if a car is travelling too fast around a bend?

If a car is travelling too fast around a bend, it may experience a loss of traction and slip off the road. This is due to the centripetal force not being strong enough to keep the car on its curved path. This can result in a loss of control and potentially lead to an accident.