Find Range of k for Two Positive Roots of Equation

In summary, the problem asks for the range of k that makes both solutions positive. One way to solve this problem is to find the generic solutions and then find the range of k that makes both solutions positive.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Find the range of the number k so that the equation 100^x-10^(x+1)+k=0 has two distinct positive roots

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if it says for two distinct roots only , k<25

but now its two distinct POSITIVE roots , so how ?

Physics news on Phys.org
(sorry wrong, i blatantly answer without reading the question ;P)

Last edited:
One way to solve this problem is to find the generic solutions and then find the range of k that makes both solutions positive.

How did you arrive at k<25? You must have done some work on this problem to arrive at that value. Show it.

D H said:
One way to solve this problem is to find the generic solutions and then find the range of k that makes both solutions positive.

How did you arrive at k<25? You must have done some work on this problem to arrive at that value. Show it.

ok .

10^(2x)-10^x . 10 + k=0

Let 10^x be b

b^2-10b+k=0

Then since it says two +ve distinct roots ,

b^2-4ac>0 , which is how i found k<25

but the answer given is 0<k<25

I don see where is the 0 coming , i know its sth to do with the word positive .

thereddevils said:
ok .

10^(2x)-10^x . 10 + k=0

Let 10^x be b

b^2-10b+k=0
Ok so far, but your choice of b here is going to get you in trouble. Something like u would have been a much better choice:

[tex]\aligned
&10^{2x} - 10\,10^x + k = 0 \ \Rightarrow \\
&u^2 - 10u + k = 0 \qquad \text{with the substitution}\ u \equiv 10^x
\endaligned[/tex]

b^2-4ac>0 , which is how i found k<25
This is where the choice of b will get you in trouble. This b is not the same as your variable b.

Regarding the problem itself: Are you supposed to find the range of k that yields two distinct real solutions for x, or the range that yields two positive solutions?Hint: with u=10x, what values for u correspond to a real value for x? To a positive value of x?

D H said:
Ok so far, but your choice of b here is going to get you in trouble. Something like u would have been a much better choice:

[tex]\aligned
&10^{2x} - 10\,10^x + k = 0 \ \Rightarrow \\
&u^2 - 10u + k = 0 \qquad \text{with the substitution}\ u \equiv 10^x
\endaligned[/tex]

This is where the choice of b will get you in trouble. This b is not the same as your variable b.

Regarding the problem itself: Are you supposed to find the range of k that yields two distinct real solutions for x, or the range that yields two positive solutions?

Hint: with u=10x, what values for u correspond to a real value for x? To a positive value of x?

ok ,

u^2 - 10u + k = 0

then b^2-4ac>0

(-10)^2-4k>0

100-4k>0

k<25 , still i get the same thing .

And this range of values of k is supposed two distinct , positive and real solution . Is it possible ?

You are too hung up on the range.

Some questions,
  • What are the solutions in terms of u?
    This is a simple quadratic equation.
  • What is x in terms of u?
    Forget about the quadratic equation in answering this question. All that matters is that u=10x.
  • How do these solutions for u translate to solutions for x?
    Use the above.
  • Does the answer to the above question always make sense?
    Just because there are two real solutions for u does not necessarily mean these translate to two real solutions for x.
  • What is the range of u that yields positive values for x?
    Once again forget about the quadratic equation in answering this question.
  • What does that translate to in terms of k[/]?

D H said:
You are too hung up on the range.

Some questions,
  • What are the solutions in terms of u?
    This is a simple quadratic equation.

• What is x in terms of u?
    Forget about the quadratic equation in answering this question. All that matters is that u=10x.

• How do these solutions for u translate to solutions for x?
    Use the above.

• Does the answer to the above question always make sense?
    Just because there are two real solutions for u does not necessarily mean these translate to two real solutions for x.

• What is the range of u that yields positive values for x?
    Once again forget about the quadratic equation in answering this question.

• What does that translate to in terms of k[/]?

thanks ! Or maybe i can also do it this way ,

since i make the substitution u=10^x , u>0

u^2-10u+k=0

so k>0 -- 1

Then since it has two distinct roots , b^2-4ac>0 which implies k<25 ---2

so combining 1 and 2

0<k<25

No what about two positive roots, or was a misstatement in the original post?

What is the equation for finding the range of k for two positive roots?

The equation for finding the range of k for two positive roots is x^2 + kx + 1 = 0. This is a quadratic equation in standard form, where the coefficient of x^2 is 1.

How do you determine the range of k for two positive roots?

To determine the range of k for two positive roots, we can use the discriminant to find the number of real solutions the equation has. If the discriminant is greater than 0, there will be two distinct real roots. If it is equal to 0, there will be one real root. And if it is less than 0, there will be no real roots.

What is the discriminant and how do you calculate it?

The discriminant is a value that helps us determine the number of real solutions to a quadratic equation. It is calculated using the formula Δ = b^2 - 4ac, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in standard form.

How do you solve for k when the discriminant is equal to 0?

If the discriminant is equal to 0, there will be one real root for the quadratic equation. In this case, we can solve for k by substituting the values of a, b, and c into the formula Δ = b^2 - 4ac and setting it equal to 0. We can then solve for k using basic algebraic techniques.

What is the range of k when the discriminant is greater than 0?

When the discriminant is greater than 0, there will be two distinct real roots for the quadratic equation. In this case, the range of k will be all real numbers since any value of k will result in two positive roots. However, if there are additional constraints or conditions given in the problem, the range of k may be limited to a specific interval.