Prerequisites 4 Quantum Mechanics: Math Topics Needed

In summary, the conversation is discussing the prerequisites for learning quantum mechanics, particularly in terms of mathematics. The necessary topics include linear algebra, calculus, partial differential equations, and Fourier analysis. The speaker also recommends taking a course in wave mechanics before jumping into QM. They also mention a helpful source for learning linear algebra and differential equations. Overall, it is important to have a strong understanding of these mathematical concepts before attempting to learn quantum mechanics.
Ramy
Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you guys what the prerequisites for learning quantum mechanics are? Especially in mathematics, what are the mathematical topics I need to grasp before possibly trying to learn quantum mechanics?

Generally, I know that linear algebra and calculus are needed, however I'm not aware of the most important theorems, definitions or lemmas in both them which I need to master or need to start with until being ready to start learning quantum mechanics.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Besides linear algebra and calculus, partial differential equations (PDE) and Fourier analysis are needed too. Anyone who is trying to learn PDEs and Fourier analysis, should also learn QM, because studying QM will help strengthening the student's understanding on these mathematical topics.

I wouldn't worry about "prerequisites". You'll find out what mathematics you need, when you start trying to learn QM :wink:

Most QM Core classes cover the important aspects of LA required for QM.

For an overview of how LA is treated in Core QM classes see

http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~greensit/book.pdf [Broken] - Page 305 "Quantum Mechanics as Linear Algebra"

If you have not taken LA yet I recommend: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/LinAlg.aspx

You will also want to take a DE course and make sure you fully understand eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.
Great overview from the same instructor:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/DE.aspx

And before you jump into QM I recommend a foundation in wave mechanics. Incredible course from Walter Lewin (this is where the fun starts):
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-03-physics-iii-vibrations-and-waves-fall-2004/

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough rigor not to use 4 for "for".

humanino said:
Enough rigor not to use 4 for "for".

:rofl:

What is required to understand Quantum Mechanics?

To understand Quantum Mechanics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics. This includes knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and complex numbers. Without a solid understanding of these mathematical concepts, it will be difficult to grasp the concepts of Quantum Mechanics.

Do I need to know advanced mathematics to learn Quantum Mechanics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary, you do not need to be an expert in advanced mathematics to learn Quantum Mechanics. Basic knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and complex numbers is sufficient to get started. However, as you delve deeper into the subject, you may encounter more complex mathematical concepts.

Can I learn Quantum Mechanics without a background in physics?

It is possible to learn Quantum Mechanics without a background in physics. However, a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism can be helpful in understanding some of the fundamental principles of Quantum Mechanics.

Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of computer programming to learn Quantum Mechanics?

No, a strong understanding of computer programming is not necessary to learn Quantum Mechanics. While some knowledge of programming may be helpful in simulating and visualizing quantum systems, it is not a prerequisite for learning the fundamental concepts of Quantum Mechanics.

What resources are available to learn the math topics needed for Quantum Mechanics?

There are many resources available to learn the math topics needed for Quantum Mechanics. Online courses, textbooks, and tutorials are all great options. Additionally, many universities offer introductory courses in mathematics for physics students. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a professor or tutor if you are struggling with a specific mathematical concept.