Is Adding More A/C Units Always Effective for Cooling a Room?

• Thread starter Artlav
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of refrigerating a heat-insulated room with a usable energy source provided in it. The first person suggests that it would not be possible due to the first law of thermodynamics and the need for a heat sink. However, the second person proposes that it could be possible if the excess heat/entropy is generated on the other side where the energy source is located. The conversation then continues to discuss the feasibility of this idea and whether it is a fundamental or technical problem. It is also mentioned that a similar system was observed in an official's office, but it is unclear how it worked. The conversation concludes by discussing the potential use of a swamp cooler or a fan to cool the room, but it
Artlav
Seems like a pretty basic thermodynamics question, but i can't think of a way how or get a clear reason why not.

Let's take a heat-insulated room with a usable energy source provided in it (electric wires sticking out of a wall).

Can this room be refrigerated as a whole?

One thing is, any refrigeration scheme I've seen requires a heat sink besides a power source, so one half of the room would have to be made hotter to get the other half colder, and since whatever way is used would add more heat to what it moves, the overall temperature would increase until the power runs out. First law of thermodynamics.

On the other hand, why can all the excess of heat/entropy be generated on the other side, where the energy source is? Energy can be use to order things, and ordering things reduce entropy. There are ways to slow atoms down directly on small scale.

So, is it a fundamental or technical problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a fundamental problem. To cool the room, you need to remove entropy as well as energy, and the heat insulation prevents the entropy from leaving.

If it were theoretically possible to do what your suggest, room air conditioners would not have to be hung out windows to get rid of extra heat...

But if you had a water supply coming into the room instead of electricity with water colder than the room, and allowed the water to leave the room, you of course could cool the room.

Thank you for clarifying.

Naty1 said:
If it were theoretically possible to do what your suggest, room air conditioners would not have to be hung out windows to get rid of extra heat...
Yesterday i would have agreed and not asked the question above, but today I've been to one official's office, which is quite like the room described - heat insulated and with windows that don't open (after all the usual problem here is -30C, not +40C). And there on a cabinet stood a small AC unit, the kind you stick into a window leaf, blowing cold air on the clerk in question. The thing had the hot end in the same room it was cooling, yet there was a stream of cold air, and the rest of the room was only marginally hotter than outside.

That got me thinking.

Sure, the fellow sitting right in front of the cool air flow will feel cooler. HOWEVER, the room as a whole will be hotter.

Artlav said:

Yesterday i would have agreed and not asked the question above, but today I've been to one official's office, which is quite like the room described - heat insulated and with windows that don't open (after all the usual problem here is -30C, not +40C). And there on a cabinet stood a small AC unit, the kind you stick into a window leaf, blowing cold air on the clerk in question. The thing had the hot end in the same room it was cooling, yet there was a stream of cold air, and the rest of the room was only marginally hotter than outside.

That got me thinking.

I don't think that was a standard air conditioner. If it were... dumb, de dumb, dumb.
Not only would it NOT cool the room, it would heat it up. Like said before, a person directly in front of it might expierience a cool air flow, but the entire room would actually get hotter.

Assuming the "not dumb" factor, the unit might have been an indoor swamp cooler as oppossed to a regular window mounted air conditioner.
Note that, even with an indoor swamp cooler, you MUST crack a window open, preferably in the same room.

Even still, a simple fan will cool someone in front of it, yet will ADD heat to the rest of insulated room.

Artlav said:

That got me thinking.
You should go back to his office and find out how it worked. All we can say is that it has to be putting out more heat than it absorbs (ie. if the hot reservoir is the room, it heats the room more than it cools).

AM

Integral said:
Sure, the fellow sitting right in front of the cool air flow will feel cooler. HOWEVER, the room as a whole will be hotter.
palladin said:
I don't think that was a standard air conditioner. If it were... dumb, de dumb, dumb.
Not only would it NOT cool the room, it would heat it up. Like said before, a person directly in front of it might expierience a cool air flow, but the entire room would actually get hotter.

Assuming the "not dumb" factor...
Ugh, unfortunately, the "not dumb" factor is not a safe assumption.

A few years ago, my company was hired to help my alma matar (!) [hangs head in shame] deal with an overheating data center. The college had been growing and as a result they had been packing their primary data center with new servers to handle the email and network storage of new students/profs/classes. When I went to survey, I found they had been doing their own cooling upgrades in an attempt to keep ahead of the rising heat load. The installed systems, in order of installation, were:

1. Standard Computer Room Air Conditioning (CRAC) units. These have air handlers in the data center that blow cold air under a raised floor, where it percolates up through perforated floor tiles. Air is returned through the top of the unit, directly from the room. The heat is rejected to remote (outside) condensing units like what you have sitting outside your house. Standard, straightforward.

2. Operating on a similar theory, they added a large residential grade split system to dump cold air into the floor plenum and pull warm air from the ceiling plenum. The ceiling also had perforated ("eggcrate") tiles to allow the hot air rising off the servers up into the ceiling. Again, a remote condensing unit rejected the heat to outside. I believe it had 17.5 kW (5 tons) of cooling capacity.

This wasn't sufficient so you know where this is going...

3. For hotspots that were cropping up in the room, they added a handful of spot coolers. These are completely self contained units - no separate unit that sits outside for heat rejection. They use a duct that pulls a little bit of air from the room to cool the integrated condenser, then you are supposed to run that duct to a window to dump the waste heat outside. Instead, they ran the heat rejection duct up to the ceiling. I think there may have been three of these units, producing 3.5 kW of cooling each, while requiring 1.5 kW of input each, for 3.5+1.5=4 kW of heat rejection each.

So what they "gained" here is instead of letting the fan of the system in #2 pull warm air up into and through the ceiling plenum as it was already doing, they added 4.5 kW of "pumps" to pump it up there. The net result is the combination of 2 and 3 was 17.5-4.5=13 kW of cooling. Adding #3 decreased the cooling to the data center. And they were genuinely confused about why they were losing control of the temperature even while adding more A/C units.

Duh.

1. How does refrigerating a sealed room work?

Refrigerating a sealed room involves using a refrigeration system to remove heat from the air inside the room. This is done by compressing and expanding a refrigerant gas, which absorbs and releases heat, thereby lowering the temperature inside the room.

2. What is the purpose of refrigerating a sealed room?

The main purpose of refrigerating a sealed room is to preserve perishable items or maintain a specific temperature or humidity level. This can be useful in industries such as food storage, pharmaceuticals, and scientific research.

3. How long does it take to refrigerate a sealed room?

The time it takes to refrigerate a sealed room depends on various factors, such as the size of the room, the type and efficiency of the refrigeration system, and the initial temperature inside the room. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a day or more to reach the desired temperature.

4. Are there any safety concerns when refrigerating a sealed room?

It is important to ensure that the room is properly sealed and that there is no risk of the refrigerant gas leaking into the room. Additionally, the refrigeration system should be regularly maintained to prevent any potential hazards. It is also important to monitor the temperature and humidity levels inside the room to prevent any damage to the items being stored.

5. Can a sealed room be refrigerated without a refrigeration system?

It is not possible to refrigerate a sealed room without a refrigeration system. However, there are alternative methods such as using ice or dry ice to lower the temperature inside a small enclosed space. These methods may not be as effective or sustainable as using a refrigeration system.