Does there exist a limit for calculating pi?

• Thread starter polaris12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Pi
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limits in calculus and the idea of finding a limit that equals pi. The participants share different ways to approach this, such as using infinite series or simple geometric calculations. It is noted that pi cannot be calculated exactly and can only be approached. The conversation also mentions the current record for calculating digits of pi and a sequence that converges to pi.
polaris12
note that by limit I mean the calculus operation, as in limf(x) as x->a.

I was playing around with numbers earlier today and came up with a limit that gives an exact value for pi. I want to know if others have devised limits that equal to pi, because I am not sure if I am the first because my formula wasn't particularly complicated. If so, please post the formula. I apologize for not posting my limit here, but I hope you will understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
polaris12 said:
I was playing around with numbers earlier today and came up with a limit that gives an exact value for pi.
There are lots of series which calculate pi - given an infinite number of terms.
You can't have an exact value of pi - except in the sense of an infinite series

You most likely stumbled upon a derivation of one of the many infinite series that calculate out to Pi...

There quite interesting in many cases.

Pi is the number of times a diameter goes into its circles circumfrence... you can never have it perfectly accurate. I have a book which shows it to 10,000 digits. As I understant the most accurate super computer gives it to ~10,200. If you looked at a circle with radius 0.5 meters, the diameter would wrap around the circumfrence for 3 meters, 1 decimeter, 4 centimeters, 1 milimeter,... you can keep going and going and going. By deffinition its irrational, it seems like eventually you would get to a perfect spot where the diameter was exactly over the circumfrence without overlapping, alined atom by atom...

Coriolis314 said:
As I understant the most accurate super computer gives it to ~10,200.
Not quite, the record is something like 3 trillion digits

waste of a good computer & talent lol

I've found some limits for pi:
-limit for x→0 (360/x*tan(x/2))
-limit for x→∞ (x*sin(180/x))

Just found them with simple geometry to divide the circle into multiple triangles. The first limit brings the arc of a triangle to 0, so it'll be very small. The second limit brings the number of triangles to ∞.

Of course limits for pi exist, but as you can see, it's not possible to calculate it exactly. You can only approach the correct value, in this case by measuring/caculate the sin() or tan() of a very small arc.

edit: I've used degrees.

Last edited:
Here's an obvious sequence whose limit is [itex]\pi[/itex]:
3, 3.1, 3.14, 3.141, 3.1415, 3.14159, 3.141592, ... !

1. What is pi and why is it important in mathematics?

Pi is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is approximately equal to 3.14159 and is commonly denoted by the Greek letter π. Pi is important in mathematics because it appears in many formulas and equations involving circles, spheres, and other curved objects. It is also a transcendental number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction, making it a fascinating and complex number to study.

2. How is pi calculated and what is the current record for its digits?

Pi can be calculated in several ways, including using infinite series, geometric methods, and computer algorithms. The most common method used to calculate pi is the infinite series known as the Gregory-Leibniz series, which slowly converges to the value of pi. As of 2021, the current record for the most digits of pi calculated is over 31 trillion digits, achieved by Google employee Emma Haruka Iwao using the company's cloud computing service.

3. Is there a limit to how many digits of pi can be calculated?

As of now, there is no known limit to how many digits of pi can be calculated. With the advancement of computer technology, mathematicians and computer scientists continue to push the boundaries of how many digits of pi can be computed. However, due to the infinite nature of pi, it is impossible to calculate it with absolute precision.

4. Why is it important to calculate more digits of pi?

Calculating more digits of pi is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps to test and improve the accuracy of mathematical algorithms and computer systems. Additionally, it can lead to new discoveries and insights in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering. Lastly, it is a way to push the limits of human knowledge and curiosity, as there is always more to discover about this intriguing number.

5. Are there practical applications of pi or is it purely a mathematical concept?

While pi is primarily a mathematical concept, it has many practical applications in various fields. For example, it is used in geometry and trigonometry to calculate the measurements of circles, spheres, and other curved shapes. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving waves and oscillations. In addition, pi has been used in real-world applications such as GPS technology and digital image processing.