What Molecules Can be Used for Research on Kerr Effect and Why?

In summary, the student is looking to do a summer physics project on Kerr effect but is having trouble obtaining nitro-benzene and nitro-toluene. They are seeking advice on what other molecules to use and if there is any literature available on the topic. They have attempted to use water but believe it may not be suitable due to its electro-optic modulating properties. They are also looking for an explanation on why certain molecules were used in past research.
Badza

Homework Statement

I what to do a summer physics project on Kerr effect. I want to determine Kerr constant for some molecules. Problem is that i cannot get nitro-benzene and nitro-toluene. Therefor i need to do my research on some other molecules, problem is that i don't have mentor who knows something more about Kerr effect, and i literature and papers I've only found that they did research on some big organic molecules, without explanation why did they used it.

I would be thankful if someone knows with what molecules i could work, or if someone could recommend some more literature on it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 30cm holding tank, 20kV voltage and power-meter that can detect changes of 1nW.
I've try with water, but power-meter shows smaller value when electric filed is on, possibly because of electro-optic modulating properties of water ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to work with some other molecules, if anyone could explain why did they used that specific molecules in their research, or if someone knows with what molecules i can work.

What is the Kerr effect?

The Kerr effect is a phenomenon in which an applied electric field causes a change in the refractive index of a material. This change in refractive index is known as the Kerr effect.

How is the Kerr effect experiment performed?

The Kerr effect experiment involves applying an electric field to a material and measuring the resulting change in refractive index using a laser beam. This change can then be analyzed to determine the properties of the material.

What materials exhibit the Kerr effect?

The Kerr effect can be observed in various materials, including liquids, gases, and solids. However, it is most commonly observed in materials with a high polarizability, such as organic molecules and crystals.

What are the applications of the Kerr effect?

The Kerr effect has many practical applications, including in telecommunications, optical data storage, and optical switches. It is also used in scientific research, such as in the study of quantum optics and nonlinear optics.

How does the Kerr effect differ from the Pockels effect?

Both the Kerr effect and the Pockels effect involve changes in refractive index due to an applied electric field. However, the Kerr effect is a nonlinear effect, while the Pockels effect is a linear effect. This means that the Kerr effect is stronger and can be observed at lower electric fields compared to the Pockels effect.