Why is the wavefront error non-zero at the image plane in Zemax?

In summary, Pintu was seeking clarification on the wavefront map in Zemax and noticed that the wavefront aberrations were not zero at the image plane, despite using a plane parallel beam and no optical elements. Michael also experienced this issue and suggested using the "afocal image space" option in Zemax to keep the beam collimated in the image space. This option was not selected, resulting in the reported wavefront error.
pintu
Hi all
I was searching the web to clarify a conceptual issue regarding the wavefront map in Zemax optical design software. Wavefront map in Zemax is suppose to tell us about the aberrations in the optical system. If I propagate a plane parallel beam in air from the object (at infinity) to Image plane without any optical element in between, then I would expect the wavefront error to be zero at the image plane. But that is not so. For some strange reason, the wavefront aberrations become finite on the image plane. Please see the screen capture attached with this posting. Anywhere between the object and image plane ( e.g. the dummy surface shown in figure) the wavefront error remain zero. I am missing something very trivial here, which is driving me crazy. Could any of you please shed some light on this? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Attachments

• WFE.jpg
    WFE.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,288
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok I tried the same setup you did (all that I could duplicate, not sure of any changes in your settings that I could not see) and got the same >1000 waves. Not sure what is going on here. But I did then just put in a paraxial lens 100mm efl 50mm dia aperture and looked at the wavefront error at the foucus of this perfect lens and it is zero waves of error, like we should expect from a perfect lens. So there seems to be some issue with plano wavefront and the wavefront error in zemax. If your intent is to do some type of gaussian imaging analysis with laser beams you will need to use the advance POP features in zemax and this gets complicated fast IMHO. Michael

Dear Michael,
Thanks for your reply. I wanted to keep the optical beam parallel both in object space and image space. To ensure that I had to check on the 'afocal image space' option in Zemax's >system>general menu. That tell the Zemax to keep the beam collimated in the image space.The wavefront error that Zemax report is an artifact of not selecting this option.

Regards,
Pintu

1. What are wavefront errors in Zemax?

Wavefront errors in Zemax are aberrations that occur in optical systems, resulting in deviations from the ideal wavefront shape. These errors can cause image distortion, blurring, and other imperfections in the final image produced by the system.

2. How do wavefront errors affect optical systems?

Wavefront errors can cause a decrease in image quality and resolution, as well as introduce distortions and aberrations in the final image. This can impact the performance of optical systems in various applications such as telescopes, cameras, and microscopes.

3. What causes wavefront errors in Zemax?

Wavefront errors can be caused by imperfections in the optical components, misalignments in the system, and other factors such as temperature changes. These errors can also be introduced during the manufacturing process of the optical components.

4. How can wavefront errors be minimized in Zemax?

In Zemax, wavefront errors can be minimized by optimizing the design of the optical system and using high-quality optical components. Additionally, using tools such as the Zernike polynomial tool can help identify and correct specific wavefront errors.

5. Can wavefront errors be completely eliminated in Zemax?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate wavefront errors, they can be reduced to a level where they are negligible and do not significantly impact the performance of the optical system. This requires careful design and optimization of the system, as well as using high-quality components and precise manufacturing processes.