BTU Calculator for Solar Thermal Water Heater

In summary, the conversation involves developing a btu calculator for a solar thermal water heater using labview for acquisition. The equation for the calculation would be the flow rate in lb/hr multiplied by the temperature difference between the in and out of the internal heat exchanger, and the question is whether the volume of the exchanger can be used in the calculation.
cwetteland
I am trying to develop a btu calculator for my solar thermal water heater. I would eventually like to use labview to do the acquisition. I have an internal heat exchanger and know the temperature before and after it enters the exchanger. I have a flow meter w/ a pulse output. What would the equation look like to do the calculation? Can I use the volume of the exchanger (approx 2 gallons) multiplied by the gallon to pound conversion, then multiplied by the flow rate over the period of the exchange?

Thanks

Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It's flow rate in lb/hr times the temperature difference between the in and out of the heat exchanger.

1. What is a BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater?

A BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater is a tool used to determine the size and type of solar thermal water heater needed for a specific household or building. It calculates the amount of energy required to heat water based on factors such as location, climate, and average water usage.

2. How does a BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater work?

A BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater works by taking into account the location of the building, climate, and average water usage to determine the amount of energy needed to heat water. It factors in the efficiency of the solar thermal system and the availability of sunlight to provide an accurate calculation.

3. Why is it important to use a BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater?

Using a BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater is important because it ensures that the system is properly sized for the specific household or building. If the system is too small, it may not be able to meet the hot water demands, and if it is too large, it will result in unnecessary energy wastage and higher costs.

4. Can a BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater be used for any type of building?

Yes, a BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater can be used for any type of building, whether it is a residential home or a commercial building. However, the calculations may vary depending on the location, climate, and water usage of the building.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when using a BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater?

Yes, there are a few other factors that should be considered when using a BTU calculator for solar thermal water heater, such as the orientation and tilt angle of the solar panels, the type of solar collector used, and the efficiency of the heat transfer system. These factors can also affect the overall performance and efficiency of the system.