What Causes Electrons to Revolve Around the Nucleus?

In summary, the reason electrons revolve around the nucleus while protons stay inside is due to two simple reasons: (1) protons are much heavier than electrons, and (2) protons respond to the strong nuclear force, while electrons do not. However, it is still unclear why particles have these specific properties and behave in this way.
m00ni
Hi! frends
please help...My question is just to know why electrons revolve arround the nucleus while protons stay inside the nuclesu.whats the reason behind...?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two simple reasons:

(1) Protons are ~2000 times heavier than electrons.
(2) Protons respond to the strong nuclear force, and electrons do not.

Of course, this will probably prompt a new round of why...

I am not sure what you are asking about, I guess there is some misconception behind your question.

Protons are PART of the nucleus. Simplest nucleus is just a single proton.

Why do you think protons COULD orbit the nucleus?

Protons mass is about 1830 times higher than the mass of electron, so for obvious reasons electrons are the ones that have to move much more. Note that - assuming they are just orbiting - they would not orbit around the nucleus, but around mass center.

Edit: phyzguy basically addressed same things while I was composing my post, but I believe we approach the answer from a slightly different perspective, so I will left what I wrote.

thnx for but phyzguy! ..why protons do so n elctrons no response to nuclear forse...please help

m00ni said:
thnx for but phyzguy! ..why protons do so n elctrons no response to nuclear forse...please help

Nobody really knows why the elementary particles have the properties that they do. That's just the way the universe is.

1. What are protons and electrons?

Protons and electrons are subatomic particles that make up atoms. Protons have a positive charge and are located in the nucleus of an atom, while electrons have a negative charge and orbit around the nucleus.

2. What is the difference between protons and electrons?

The main difference between protons and electrons is their charge. Protons have a positive charge, while electrons have a negative charge. Additionally, protons are much more massive than electrons and are located in the nucleus of an atom, while electrons are much smaller and orbit around the nucleus.

3. How do protons and electrons interact with each other?

Protons and electrons interact with each other through electromagnetic forces. The positive charge of protons attracts the negative charge of electrons, keeping them in orbit around the nucleus. These interactions also determine the chemical properties of elements.

4. Why are protons and electrons important in chemistry?

Protons and electrons are important in chemistry because they determine the structure and behavior of atoms. The number of protons in an atom's nucleus determines its atomic number, which determines its place on the periodic table. The arrangement of electrons around the nucleus determines an element's chemical properties and reactivity.

5. Can protons and electrons be created or destroyed?

No, protons and electrons cannot be created or destroyed. In a closed system, the number of protons and electrons remains constant, as they can only be rearranged or transferred from one atom to another. This is known as the Law of Conservation of Mass.