Basic question about the nature of light and time

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of recording the progression of light using a high-speed camera and if it would violate the law of "all observers seeing the light moving with the same speed." The deeper question is if the speed of light is dependent on an individual's mental capacity to process information. The conversation also mentions the limitations of recording light using a high-speed camera and the concept of slow light.
ZirkMan
Imagine you have a high-speed camera with a capability to record almost near infinite frames per second. Would you be in principle able to record progression of light (I know that light itself is invisible so at least its reflected progression let's say off a room's walls after a light bulb has been lit).

If yes. I would like to know if it is possible to see its progression to be slowed down even for an observer who would have the mental capacity to process that many frames per second of information that would allow him to react to its progression? Wouldn't this violate the law that "all observers see the light moving with the same speed"?
The deeper question behind therefore is if the speed of light is also not depended on our mental capacity of how quickly we can process our input information? With speeds of regular objects this seems to be the case where with the higher frequency of input information processing the time seems to slow down and we are able to see objects moving slower or at least react on them as if they effectively were.

Physics news on Phys.org
The shutter of the camera can't move faster than the speed of light even in principle ;).

Eynstone said:
The shutter of the camera can't move faster than the speed of light even in principle ;).
That's OK. I don't want to see the light stop, just to see it slow down a bit on the recording.

ZirkMan said:
Imagine you have a high-speed camera with a capability to record almost near infinite frames per second. Would you be in principle able to record progression of light (I know that light itself is invisible so at least its reflected progression let's say off a room's walls after a light bulb has been lit).
No.

Think about it: what if not light itself does a camera record?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_light" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly me. I didn't realize that velocity V=(Δd)/(Δt) so even when you make time run subjectively slower a second will remain a second even when it will last subjectively longer. Therefore the measured velocity will be the same for both types of consciousness.

Btw, the slow light would't help much because as far as I know its slower group speed is caused by its absorption and consequent re-emission as this is the way light moves in those materials.

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of particles called photons that have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

2. How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. When it enters a medium, such as air or water, its speed and direction may change.

3. What is the nature of time?

Time is a concept that humans use to measure the duration of events. It is a fundamental aspect of the universe and is often described as a fourth dimension along with three dimensions of space.

4. How are light and time related?

Einstein's theory of relativity showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity.

5. Can light travel through time?

No, light cannot travel through time in the traditional sense. Time is a dimension that is experienced in a linear manner, while light travels at a constant speed and does not experience time in the same way that humans do.