Fourier series homework problem

In summary, the sum can be approximated with a Fourier series, but the closed form solution may not be available.
Bohrok
Not really a homework question; I typed this sum into Wolframalpha and it gave a nice, compact expression, but I couldn't figure out where to begin finding it. Is there a way to find it using just calc II-level knowledge of infinite sums?

[PLAIN]http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP839119dd21ei6e3ic70g00005i4356075068c2eb?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=40&w=264&h=45

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes. By using a Fourier series.

Fourier series are beyond anything I learned in calc II... Is that the only way to do it?

Bohrok said:
Fourier series are beyond anything I learned in calc II... Is that the only way to do it?

In many cases, the sum can only be obtained by complicated methods like the Fourier Series. In far more cases, the sum can only be approximated. Personally, I would be happy that this one falls in the first category... but I can see why you would want to be able to do this. I have finished Calc III, and I still don't see a way to do this.

The method that you can use which requires only calc I knowledge is using improper integrals for approximating the sum. I saw an example of this on the Stewart (Calc I book which I'm using for my final exam).

Telemachus said:
The method that you can use which requires only calc I knowledge is using improper integrals for approximating the sum. I saw an example of this on the Stewart (Calc I book which I'm using for my final exam).

Yes, but that only gives him an approximation. I believe he's looking for a way to retrieve the closed-form solution.

Yes, I was looking for a way to find the expression [itex]\frac{1}{2}(1 + \pi \coth(\pi))[/itex] that Wolframalpha gave for the sum; I kinda figured I couldn't do it yet with that coth in there. I'll just have to wait till Fourier series... :grumpy:
Thanks Char :smile:

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It was developed by French mathematician Joseph Fourier in the early 19th century and is widely used in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How do you solve a Fourier series homework problem?

To solve a Fourier series homework problem, you need to follow a series of steps. First, determine the period of the given function. Then, find the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms using the Fourier series formula. Next, substitute the coefficients and period into the Fourier series equation. Finally, simplify the equation to obtain the Fourier series representation of the given function.

3. What is the purpose of using a Fourier series?

The purpose of using a Fourier series is to represent a complex periodic function as a simpler combination of sine and cosine functions. This can help in analyzing and understanding the behavior of the function, as well as in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series?

Yes, there are limitations to using Fourier series. It can only be applied to functions that are periodic and have a finite number of discontinuities. It also has difficulty representing functions with sharp corners or spikes. In addition, the convergence of Fourier series may be slow for certain types of functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many real-world applications, including signal processing, image and sound compression, data analysis, and solving partial differential equations. They are also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and study periodic phenomena.