Finding the Constants in a Second Order Differential Equation

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of C in the equation y=x^2-x^3+C, with the given conditions y(0)=-3 and y'(0)=4. To do this, two additional equations are needed because the antiderivative of the antiderivative of 2-6x introduces two integration constants, C and D.
alyston

Homework Statement

d2y/dx2 = 2-6x

Given: y(0)=-3 and y'(0)=4

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for a single order derivative you would just find the integral, set y=1 and x=0. But I'm confused because here we're given two conditions, instead of just one. And I don't know how to do this type of problem with a second order derivative. But I know that:

The second integral of 2-6x is x2-x3. So,
y=x2-x3 + C
1= C

I also know that the first integral is 2x-3x2

But where does y'(0)=4 come into place? Do I need two equations here?
Mainly, I need to find the value of C, which stands for Constant.

Thanks! I'd really appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you integrate twice, each time you have to introduce an integration constant. That's why you need two additional conditions to find these constants.

So the antiderivative of the antiderivative of 2-6x is

a) x^2 - x^3.
b) x^2 - x^3 + C
c) x^2 - x^3 + Cx +D
d) x^2 - x^3 + C + D
e) all 4 of the above
f) none of the above 5 options

What is an Initial Value Problem?

An Initial Value Problem (IVP) is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function based on its derivative and a set of initial conditions. The initial conditions typically include the value of the function at a specific point, as well as the value of its derivative at that point.

What is the difference between an IVP and a Boundary Value Problem?

An IVP involves finding a function based on its derivative and initial conditions, while a Boundary Value Problem (BVP) involves finding a function that satisfies a set of conditions at different points. In an IVP, the initial conditions are given at a single point, while in a BVP, the conditions are given at multiple points.

What are some applications of Initial Value Problems?

Initial Value Problems are used in many areas of science and engineering to model phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also commonly used in physics to model the motion of objects, such as projectiles and pendulums.

What is the role of the initial conditions in solving an IVP?

The initial conditions provide the starting point for solving an IVP. They help to determine the specific solution to the problem, as the same differential equation can have infinitely many solutions, but only one that satisfies the given initial conditions.

What methods are commonly used to solve Initial Value Problems?

Some common methods for solving Initial Value Problems include the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the Taylor series method. These methods involve approximating the solution to the problem by using a sequence of smaller and simpler calculations.