What are the force components for each member in the loaded truss?

You can also look at the geometry of the truss to determine if a force is compressive or tensile."In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of force in various members of a loaded truss, with the reminder that compression forces should be negative. The individual seeking help has already found the components of AB and BC, but needs help determining the components of other members and identifying whether the forces are compression or tension. It is suggested to use the method of joints or sections and examine the geometry of the truss to determine the direction of the force.
SteelDirigibl

Homework Statement

I need help with trusses.

Determine the force in members: (a)AD, (b)CD, (c)AB, (d)BC, (e)BD of the loaded truss. (Note: compression forces must be negative.)
Screenshot2011-03-08at110755PM.png

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the components of AB and BC since upward components at A and C are 900 lb upward and cotan(30.3)*900 is 1540. But how do I get the components of the others? (and why/how do I know that BC is zero?

Physics news on Phys.org

well i got it figured out, but I am finding I am having trouble determining if it is compression or tension. how can I figure this out? my numbers are generally right but the opposite sign.

Tension forces always pull away from the joint or member on which they act, and compression forces always push toward the joint or member on which they act. Whether you use the method of joints or sections, your free body diagram will give you the direction of the force using the equilibrium equations at those joints or sections.

1. What is a truss and how does it work?

A truss is a structural element composed of interconnected triangles that is used to support loads over a span. The triangles are designed to distribute the weight evenly and efficiently, making them stronger than traditional beams. The members of a truss work together to transfer the load to the supports at the ends of the structure.

2. What are the different types of trusses?

There are several types of trusses, including the Pratt, Warren, and Howe trusses. Each type has a unique design and varying levels of strength and stability. The type of truss used in a structure will depend on factors such as the span, load, and aesthetic preferences.

3. How do you calculate the forces in a truss?

To calculate the forces in a truss, you must first determine the external loads acting on the structure. Then, you can use the method of joints or method of sections to analyze the forces in each member. This involves breaking the truss into smaller sections and applying the principles of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

4. What are the common materials used in truss construction?

The most common materials used in truss construction are wood, steel, and aluminum. Wood is often used for smaller, residential structures, while steel and aluminum are commonly used in larger, commercial buildings. The material chosen will depend on factors such as the required strength, cost, and availability.

5. How do you ensure the stability and safety of a truss?

To ensure the stability and safety of a truss, it is important to follow proper design and construction practices. This includes using accurate calculations to determine the appropriate size and spacing of members, using quality materials, and following building codes and regulations. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help ensure the ongoing stability and safety of a truss structure.