A device that can measure height

In summary, the conversation revolves around a device found in shopping centers that can measure weight and height for a $1 coin. The device has a tube on top which may emit ultrasonic waves, causing the person to feel a straining sensation in their head. There is a health warning on the device, but it is determined that it is most likely safe to use.
chebyshevF
A few shopping centres in my area have these devices that can measure your weight and height.

I figured I'd try it out, all you had to do was insert a $1 coin. Thing is, it has this type of tube on the top of it (the actual device was in an elongated C shape with a small platform to stand on), which is where I imagined it would emit some sort of radio wave(?) and pick up a deflection. So when I stood there, it felt as if my head had this sudden straining feeling, and it felt like for a bit after it was done.

I'm wondering whether anyone knows what I'm talking about and whether I have anything to worry about? The device had some sign on it that said "Health Warning" and a phone number, that was it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi chebyshevF! :smile:

probably ultrasonic …

was it like this … http://www.goldshinechina.com/height-scale-and-weight-scale-JXHW-I.htm" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, thanks for the response tiny-tim!

Whilst it didn't look like that, it was in a very similar shape. The "spine" of it was curved and there was some sort of tube on the top, but I think it may have been put there for appeal.

So I'm guessing it must have been using ultrasonic waves, in which case I have nothing to worry about :) Probably just me being paranoid.

1. How does the device measure height?

The device uses a combination of technologies, such as lasers or ultrasonic sensors, to accurately measure the distance from the base of the device to the top of the object being measured.

2. What is the accuracy of the device?

The accuracy of the device depends on the specific model and technology used, but most devices have an accuracy of within a few millimeters.

3. Can the device measure height from a distance?

Yes, some devices are equipped with long-range sensors that can measure height from a distance, making it useful for measuring tall buildings or trees.

4. Is the device easy to use?

Most devices are designed to be user-friendly and require minimal training to operate. They often have a simple interface and clear instructions for use.

5. What are some common applications for this device?

This device has a wide range of applications, including construction, interior design, forestry, and sports. It can also be used for measuring the height of people, animals, and objects in various industries.