Can fractals sum to a linear function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a set of fractals being able to define a differentiable field. However, the terms "sum", "superposition", and "linear" do not typically apply to fractals. The concept of summing two fractal curves is mentioned as a potential way to get a nice result, but there is no clear understanding of whether or not fractals are differentiable.
Loren Booda
Does there exist a set of fractals whose sum defines a differentiable field?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean, but I think I can shed some light on it.

Generally, when you want to answer the question: "Can two ugly things sum to a nice thing?", you can usually answer in the affirmative by picking any ugly thing, then subtracting it from a nice thing. If this subtraction yields another ugly thing, then you have two ugly things that add to a nice thing.

Nice way to explain, really nice ... you should write a book Hurkyl

nice explanation Hurkyl...

marlon

Is it possible that a superposition of fractal fields yields a linear field? I hope this is sufficiently ugly, Hurkyl (please forgive my mathematical illiteracy).

The problem is, those terms just don't go together. I really have no idea what you are trying to say.

Hurkyl,

A fractal pattern is assumed discontinuous and nonlinear. I was wondering whether the "superposition" (sum of values for every correspondent point) over two or more such fractals could generate a continuous, linear pattern.

Consider a fractal of dimension 1.2 projected onto a fractal of dimension 1.8; might this mapping ever represent a differentiable geometry of dimension 3, or even of dimension 2?

Again, you're using words in an alien way. "represent a differential geometry"?

The simple answer is of course you can sum two fractal curves of non-integer dimension and get something nice:

embed your favourite fractal curve y=f(x), and 1-f(x) in the plane, then the sum will be 1just as hurkyl said.

Is there a simple proof that fractals are not differentiable?

... or are fractals differentiable by fractional derivatives?

What are fractals?

Fractals are complex mathematical shapes that exhibit self-similarity at different scales. They are created by repeating a simple pattern or equation multiple times and zooming in on the result.

Can fractals sum to a linear function?

No, fractals are non-linear by definition and cannot be summed to a linear function. Linear functions have a constant rate of change, while fractals have a varying rate of change at different scales.

How are fractals used in science?

Fractals have various applications in science, including modeling natural phenomena such as coastlines, clouds, and plant structures. They are also used in image compression, data analysis, and understanding chaotic systems.

Can fractals be found in nature?

Yes, fractals can be found in various natural systems, such as snowflakes, lightning, and mountains. The self-similarity of fractals can be observed in the branching patterns of trees and the structure of broccoli.

Are fractals important for computer graphics?

Yes, fractals are essential in computer graphics for creating realistic and detailed images. They are used to generate landscapes, textures, and 3D models in video games, movies, and other visual media.