Tangential Component of Acceleration

In summary, the conversation was about a student redoing a problem from their Calculus class and asking for confirmation on their solution. They initially calculated the tangential component of the acceleration vector incorrectly, but later corrected it and received confirmation that it was the correct solution. They also discussed a more elegant mathematical expression for the solution.
scoobiedoober

Homework Statement

I was following through the notes I took in my Calc class, and either I wrote down the formulas incorrectly, my professor did this problem incorrectly, or I wrote the answer down incorrectly. I'm just going to redo it here, so could someone give me a thumbs up or thumbs down if I did it correctly? Thanks.

Problem:

Find the tangential component of the acceleration vector of the given partial motion vector:

[tex]r(t)=\langle e^{-t},\sqrt{2}t,e^t\rangle[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]a_T=\frac{d}{dt}|v|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]v(t)=\frac{dr(t)}{dt}=\langle -e^{-t},\sqrt{2},e^t \rangle[/tex]

[tex]|v|=\sqrt{e^{-2t}+2+e^{2t}}[/tex]
[tex]|v|=\sqrt{(e^{-t}+e^t)^2}[/tex]
[tex]|v|=e^{-t}+e^t[/tex]

[tex]a_T=\frac{d}{dt}|v|=-e^{-t}+e^t[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not how you calculate it. You need to calculate the unit tangent vector T which you get by dividing the velocity vector by its length. Then you get the acceleration vector A by differentiating your velocity vector. Then you get the tangential component of the acceleration by calculating

[tex] A_T = \vec A\cdot T[/tex]

Okay then I'll do it that way:

(from before)
[tex]v(t)=\langle -e^{-t},\sqrt{2},e^t \rangle[/tex]
[tex]|v|=e^{-t}+e^t[/tex]

(new)
[tex]T(t)=\frac{v(t)}{|v|}=\langle \frac{-e^{-t}}{e^{-t}+e^t}, \frac{\sqrt{2}}{e^{-t}+e^t}, \frac{e^t}{e^{-t}+e^t}\rangle[/tex]

[tex]a(t)=\frac{d}{dt}v(t)=\langle e^{-t},0,e^t \rangle[/tex]

[tex]a_T=a(t) \centerdot T(t) = e^{-t}\frac{-e^{-t}}{e^{-t}+e^t} + 0 + e^t\frac{e^t}{e^{-t}+e^t}=\frac{e^{-2t}-e^{2t}}{e^{-t}+e^t}=\frac{(e^{t}-e^{-t})(e^{t}+e^{-t})}{e^{-t}+e^t}=-e^{-t}+e^t[/tex]

So apparently I CAN do it the original way...and it was a bit easier too. So am I safe to assume I have done it correctly?

scoobiedoober said:
So apparently I CAN do it the original way...and it was a bit easier too. So am I safe to assume I have done it correctly?

Yes, I made a mistake in my calculation and had a different answer, sorry for the misstep.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, I made a mistake in my calculation and had a different answer, sorry for the misstep.

No worries, even my professor with a PHD flubbed it up! Thank the lord for technology :p

One note: e^(t) - e^(-t) = sinh(t), if you want to make your answer look more elegant.

Char. Limit said:
One note: e^(t) - e^(-t) = sinh(t), if you want to make your answer look more elegant.

You mean = 2 sinh(t).

LCKurtz said:
You mean = 2 sinh(t).

Ooops :redface: Of course. 2 sinh(t).

1. What is the definition of Tangential Component of Acceleration?

The tangential component of acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the velocity of an object. In other words, it is the rate of change of the magnitude of the velocity of an object.

2. How is Tangential Component of Acceleration calculated?

The tangential component of acceleration can be calculated using the formula: at = v x dv/dt, where at is the tangential component of acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and dv/dt is the rate of change of velocity over time.

3. What is the difference between Tangential Component of Acceleration and Centripetal Acceleration?

The tangential component of acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the velocity of an object, while centripetal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the velocity of an object. In other words, tangential component of acceleration is responsible for changing the speed of an object, while centripetal acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of an object's motion.

4. How does Tangential Component of Acceleration affect circular motion?

In circular motion, the tangential component of acceleration is responsible for changing the speed of an object as it moves along the circular path. This acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's motion along the circular path.

5. What is the significance of Tangential Component of Acceleration in real-life applications?

The tangential component of acceleration is important in various real-life applications such as car racing, roller coaster rides, and artificial satellites orbiting the Earth. It helps in understanding and predicting the motion of objects moving along curved paths and is essential for designing efficient and safe systems.