Why cant i learn linear algebra?

In summary, the author suggests that a good way to learn linear algebra is by reading textbooks and doing exercises, as well as doing video lectures by Gilbert Strang.
achuthan1988
I have enrolled for a distance learning progaramme from IGNOU(big mistake!).There is a paper on linear algebra.The university gives a study material which i find boring. i recently bought Gilbert Strang's linear algebra book. Any other good sources online?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are lots of book:

1) Elementary Linear Algebra (2nd Edition) (very nice book)
Lawrence E. Spence, Arnold J. Insel, Stephen H. Friedberg:
http://library.nu/docs/1AE3ONR9XD/Elementary%20Linear%20Algebra%20%282nd%20Edition%29
(which has a solution manual: http://library.nu/docs/LDPQ2VOB3U/Student%20Solution%20Manual%20for%20Elementary%20Linear%20Algebra

2) Elementary Linear Algebra, 6th edition
Ron Larson, David C. Falvo
http://library.nu/docs/L5P1XNUYVJ/Elementary%20Linear%20Algebra%2C%206th%20edition

3) Elementary Linear Algebra with Applications 9 edition
Howard Anton, Chris Rorres
http://library.nu/docs/9VI3Y1AHXR/Elementary%20Linear%20Algebra%20with%20Applications%209%20edition

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
i have
1)jim hefferon's ebook
2)glibert strang's book
3)Howard anton's ebook
4)Larson's ebook
5)Friedberg's ebook

Where do i start? i want to read the study material given by my college and also supplement that with a textbook

I will post the chapters covered in my course...

There are a total of 15 chapters
1)Sets functions and fields
2)Two and three dimensional spaces
3)Vector spaces
4)Basis and dimension
5)Linear transformation -I
6)Linear transformation -II
7)Matrices-I
8)Matrices-II
9)Determinants
10)Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors
11) Characteristic and minimal polynomial
12) Inner product spaces
13) Hermitian and unitary operators
14) Real quadratic forms
15) Conics

The first 10 chapters are core components of any introductory course.

So which book would contain the majority of the topics?( refer the previous post)

I would suggest looking through your texts to find those with chapters that cover the first ten of your course.

If you find linear algebra boring, I would perhaps look at the Friedberg book .. In my opinion, it is much better than the others you have listed there, and it does indeed cover all the topics you have listed

But I'm talking about this friedberg book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130084514/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I am not sure which one you have, because he has at least two linear algebra books under his name

Indeed, the Friedberg book is an excellent book on linear algebra. It'll teach you linear algebra the way it's supposed to be done (in my opinion). Certainly look through it!

I would also suggest making a lot of exercises on matrices. This can be really important. A Schaum's outline will be perfect for its many exercises!

i have friedberg's linear algebra a matrix approach.That is not the one you meant!:cry:

1. Why is linear algebra difficult to learn?

Linear algebra can be a challenging subject for many people because it involves abstract concepts and complex mathematical calculations. It also requires a strong foundation in algebra and geometry, which can be difficult for some learners.

2. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

The key to understanding linear algebra is practice. Make sure to review basic algebra and geometry concepts before diving into more advanced topics. It can also be helpful to work through problems step by step and seek help from a tutor or teacher when needed.

3. What are the practical applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve systems of equations, analyze data, and make predictions in real-world situations.

4. Can I learn linear algebra without a strong math background?

While having a strong foundation in algebra and geometry is helpful, it is not impossible to learn linear algebra without it. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn the fundamentals of linear algebra and build their understanding from there.

5. How long does it take to learn linear algebra?

The time it takes to learn linear algebra varies for each individual. It depends on your prior knowledge, study habits, and dedication. With consistent practice and a strong understanding of the basics, one can typically become proficient in linear algebra within a few months.