Ellipsoid algebra: converting forms

In summary, the goal is to rewrite the set {x | (Dx-t)'(Dx-t) <= c} in standard ellipsoid form {x | (x-z)'E(x-z)<=b}, where E is an mxm positive semi definite matrix. This can be achieved by rewriting the expression Dx-t in homogeneous coordinates and using a symmetric matrix G, which can be diagonalized. The application area for this is radiation therapy, where D represents the dose-influence matrix.
d_forage
I have a matrix D (it happens to be in R^(nxm) where n>>m, but I don't think that is relevant at this point). I also have a vector t in R^n.

I am interested in rewriting the set

{x | (Dx-t)'(Dx-t) <= c} in standard ellipsoid form: --> {x | (x-z)'E(x-z)<=b} where E is an mxm positive semi definite matrix. So, I'd like to write z, E and b in terms of D, t, and c.

Is there an algebraic way to do this?

(The application area is radiation therapy, D represents the so-called dose-influence matrix.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a stretched-out sphere. It is defined by three axes of different lengths, and its surface is smooth and continuous.

2. How do you convert an ellipsoid into different forms?

To convert an ellipsoid into different forms, you can use ellipsoid algebra, which involves manipulating the three axes of the ellipsoid to change its size, orientation, and shape. This can be done using mathematical equations and calculations.

3. What are the common forms used for ellipsoid conversion?

The most common forms used for ellipsoid conversion are the spherical form, where all three axes are equal in length, the oblate form, where two axes are equal and one is shorter, and the prolate form, where two axes are equal and one is longer. Other forms include the scalene form, where all three axes are different lengths, and the triaxial form, where all three axes are mutually perpendicular.

4. What is the importance of ellipsoid algebra in science?

Ellipsoid algebra is important in science as it allows for the accurate representation and manipulation of ellipsoids, which are commonly used to model real-world objects such as planets, asteroids, and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as geodesy and geophysics, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.

5. Can ellipsoid algebra be applied to other shapes besides ellipsoids?

Yes, ellipsoid algebra can be applied to other shapes, such as spheroids, which are similar to ellipsoids but have a different distribution of mass. It can also be applied to more complex shapes by breaking them down into smaller ellipsoids and using algebraic operations to manipulate them.