Proving transpose of orthogonal matrix orthogonal

In summary, to show that if A is orthogonal, then AT is orthogonal, one can use the definition that A is orthogonal if and only if AA^T = A^TA = I. To prove that A^T is orthogonal, one can use the fact that (A^T)^T = A. If it is assumed that A is already orthogonal, then there is no need to prove that the columns of A are orthogonal unit vectors, as this is already stated in the definition of an orthogonal matrix.
derryck1234

Homework Statement

Show that if A is orthogonal, then AT is orthogonal.

Homework Equations

AAT = I

The Attempt at a Solution

I would go about this by letting A be an orthogonal matrix with a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i , j as its entries (I don't know how to draw that here)...but this would be a 3x3 matrix with entries a, b, c, d, e, f, g,h, i, j. I would then construct AT, and then multiply the two matrices. I should find that the non-diagonal entries are zero, but how would I show that the diagonal entries are 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that the columns are all orthogonal unit vectors.

Ok. I understand how I would prove that A times the transpose of A has orthogonal columns...but how would I prove they are unit vectors?

What definition are you using for an orthogonal matrix? Note that orthogonal unit vectors for rows and columns is equivalent to [itex] AA^T = A^TA=I[/itex]. The equivalence of these definitions is perhaps in your book or can certainly be found online.

I would use the second definition. A is orthogonal if and only if [itex] AA^T=A^TA = I[/itex]. To show [itex]A^T[/itex] is orthogonal, make use of the fact that [itex](A^T)^T=A[/itex].

If you're assumed that A is already orthogonal then you don't need to prove that the columns are orthogonal unit vectors. That's the definition of an orthogonal matrix, thus already being in your assumption that A is orthogonal.

What is an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix where all the columns and rows are orthogonal to each other. This means that the dot product of any two columns (or rows) is equal to zero. In other words, the columns (or rows) are perpendicular to each other.

What does it mean for the transpose of an orthogonal matrix to be orthogonal?

The transpose of a matrix is formed by flipping the rows and columns. If an orthogonal matrix is transposed, the resulting matrix will also be orthogonal. This means that the columns (or rows) of the transposed matrix will also be perpendicular to each other.

How do you prove that the transpose of an orthogonal matrix is orthogonal?

To prove that the transpose of an orthogonal matrix is orthogonal, we need to show that the dot product of any two columns (or rows) of the transposed matrix is equal to zero. This can be done by using the properties of matrix multiplication and the fact that the original matrix was orthogonal.

Why is it important to prove that the transpose of an orthogonal matrix is orthogonal?

It is important to prove this property because it allows us to use the transpose of an orthogonal matrix in calculations without changing the orthogonality of the matrix. This can be useful in various applications, such as in linear algebra and signal processing.

Are all orthogonal matrices invertible?

Yes, all orthogonal matrices are invertible. This is because the inverse of an orthogonal matrix is its transpose, and the transpose of an orthogonal matrix is also an orthogonal matrix. Therefore, the inverse of an orthogonal matrix is also an orthogonal matrix.