Ranking question with different number of observations?

• Thread starter wc115
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ranking
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to rank multiple subjects, specifically schools, based on their average scores and the number of students. The proposed method is to use a weighted formula to assign a single score to each school and then rank them from highest to lowest. However, the use of weights is subjective and there is no other method that can be applied in this situation.
wc115
I need to rank multiple "subjects" such as listing the "subjects" from best to worst. <--not sure if subject is the correct term.

example: school A and school B

school A has 10 students with an average score of 100%
school B has 30 students with an average score of 98%

which school would be better or ranked higher? Is there a formula i can apply?
a formula that I can use when there are hundreds or thousands of schools?I feel that school B would be better... because there are more students?
I was thinking of using a weighted formula such as: students x weight(70%) + scores(30%) = final score

and then rank the schools from highest final score to lowest score

but the use of weights would be subjective...is there another method that i may use?

thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, you intend to assign a single number to a set of values. Since there is no natural way which connects the different values, there is neither a natural way to combine them. Thus a subjective weight function is your only possibility.

1. What is a ranking question with different number of observations?

A ranking question with different number of observations is a type of survey question where respondents are asked to rank a list of options according to their preferences or opinions. The number of options may vary, and respondents are typically asked to rank them from most preferred to least preferred.

2. How is a ranking question with different number of observations helpful in research?

A ranking question with different number of observations can provide valuable insights into the preferences and opinions of respondents. It allows researchers to understand the relative importance or popularity of different options, and can be used to identify patterns and trends among different groups of respondents.

3. What are some common types of ranking questions with different number of observations?

Some common types of ranking questions with different number of observations include ranking by preference, ranking by importance, and ranking by satisfaction. These types of questions can be used in various research fields, such as marketing, psychology, and social sciences.

4. How should a ranking question with different number of observations be designed?

A ranking question with different number of observations should be designed in a clear and concise manner. The options should be presented in a random order to avoid bias, and the instructions should clearly state how many options should be ranked and in what order (e.g. from most preferred to least preferred).

5. What are some best practices for analyzing data from a ranking question with different number of observations?

When analyzing data from a ranking question with different number of observations, it is important to consider the overall ranking position, as well as the number of times an option was ranked first, second, third, etc. Researchers may also want to compare the rankings of different groups of respondents or examine any correlations between the rankings and other variables.