Where do the electrostatic energy go?

In summary, electrostatic energy, also known as static electricity, can go to different places depending on the situation. It can dissipate into the environment, be transferred to other objects, or be discharged through a conductive path. It does not disappear but transforms into other forms of energy. It can potentially harm humans through shocks or sparks and can also ignite flammable substances in industrial settings. Electrostatic energy is created through charge buildup on an object and is a type of electric potential energy.
oem7110
Fun Fly Stick is a toy to generate electrostatic energy, please see an attached image.

I am insulated from the floor and the stick is touching the metal wall, the longer I operate it, should my body get more negative charges or less?

ffs_maintenance.jpg

FlyStick.jpg

" ... An electron has a mass that is approximately 1/1836 that of the proton."

Is negative charges (electrons) moving faster then positive charges (proton) based on their mass? if it is correct, the speed of discharging the positive charges to the ground is slower then the speed of getting negative charges from the ground, so if I touch the ground by the tube, will the cardboard actually accumulate the negative charges instead of discharging the positive charges to the ground as a result? If this is right, will I get unlimited negative charges from the ground in theory as long as my body is insulated from the ground? so I will accumulate enough volt to lift my hair, please correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
!

I would like to clarify some concepts and provide some suggestions for your experiment with the Fun Fly Stick.

Firstly, when operating the Fun Fly Stick, your body will actually accumulate both negative and positive charges. As you mentioned, the longer you operate it, the more charges will be generated. However, it is difficult to determine whether your body will have a net negative or positive charge as it depends on various factors such as the humidity of the environment and the materials involved.

Secondly, the speed of charges (electrons and protons) is not solely based on their mass. It also depends on the electric field and the material in which they are moving. So, it is not accurate to say that electrons are always moving faster than protons.

Regarding your question about touching the ground with the Fun Fly Stick, it is important to note that the cardboard tube is not a good conductor of electricity. Therefore, it is unlikely that you will be able to accumulate unlimited negative charges from the ground. Eventually, the charges will reach a balance and the Fun Fly Stick will stop generating electrostatic energy.

Lastly, the Fun Fly Stick is designed as a toy and should not be used for experiments that involve high voltages. It is important to follow the safety instructions provided with the toy to avoid any potential hazards.

In conclusion, while the Fun Fly Stick is a fun and educational toy, it is important to understand its limitations and use it safely. I would suggest exploring other experiments or activities that can help you learn more about electrostatic energy and its effects. Thank you for your interest in science!

1. Where does electrostatic energy go?

Electrostatic energy, also known as static electricity, can go to different places depending on the situation. In most cases, it dissipates into the environment, such as air or other materials. It can also be transferred to other objects through contact or discharged through a conductive path.

2. Does electrostatic energy disappear?

Electrostatic energy does not disappear but rather transforms into other forms of energy. When two objects with different electric charges come into contact, the energy is redistributed between them. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light, through discharge or friction.

3. Can electrostatic energy harm humans?

In most cases, electrostatic energy poses no harm to humans. However, it can produce a mild shock or spark if there is a large amount of charge buildup and a conductive path is available. Additionally, in industrial settings, electrostatic discharge can ignite flammable substances, potentially causing harm.

4. How is electrostatic energy created?

Electrostatic energy is created when there is a buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object. This can occur through various processes, such as friction, contact with other charged objects, or induction. The buildup of charge creates an imbalance that results in electrostatic energy.

5. Is electrostatic energy the same as electric potential energy?

Electrostatic energy is a type of electric potential energy. It refers to the energy stored in an object due to its electric charge. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is a more general term that includes other types of electric energy, such as the energy of moving charges in an electric current.