Does this model of the casimir effect extracting energy have flaws?

In summary, the conversation is about a proposed system to convert the Casimir effect into usable energy by utilizing the magnetocaloric effect. The system involves a rotating drum with plates that are magnetized when close together and cooled down when moved apart, ultimately producing heat. However, the validity of this system is questioned by the speaker, who shares a video showing a similar system claiming to produce more heat. The conversation is ended with the thread being closed due to the incorrect scientific information presented.
clearwater304
I'm doing a project in thermodynamics and after seeing the movie "atlas shrugged" tryed determining a method to convert the casimir effect into usable energy.

My system would have a rotating drum inside of a cylinder, with plates on the sides of the drum and the cylinder. The normal function of this system would be to produce heat and pump the water. I would expect each time the plates pass close to each other, they would become magnetized due to the casimir effect. This would cuase the plates to heat up due to the magnetocaloric effect. When the plates move away from each other, they would cool down due the magnetocaloric effect, making the heat produced essentially null. However, the plates would not normally completely demagnetize, yet the heat from the water will cuase it to lose hysteresis. This loss in hysterisis should produce extra heat in the system. This cycle should completely turn the energy stored from the casimir effect, to heat due to the magnetocaloric effect.

I'm very skeptical this system would produce much heat, but I saw this video on youtube and it seams to be the exact same system, in which he claims, produces more heat. Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this system?

[Crackpot link deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Nothing you wrote is correct. It's a string of scientific words placed together in a seemingly random order. Thread closed.

1. What is the Casimir effect and how does it relate to extracting energy?

The Casimir effect is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two parallel metal plates placed in a vacuum experience an attractive force due to the fluctuations of virtual particles in the vacuum. This effect can potentially be harnessed to extract energy, as the plates can be moved closer together to increase the force and generate work.

2. Is it possible to extract unlimited energy using the Casimir effect?

No, it is not possible to extract unlimited energy using the Casimir effect. The amount of energy that can be extracted is limited by the size of the plates and the distance between them, as well as the amount of energy required to move the plates.

3. What are some potential flaws with using the Casimir effect to extract energy?

There are several potential flaws with using the Casimir effect to extract energy. One issue is that the plates would need to be extremely close together, which could be difficult to maintain and control. Additionally, the amount of energy that can be extracted is relatively small and may not be worth the effort and cost of setting up and maintaining the system.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Casimir effect for energy extraction?

While there are currently no practical applications of using the Casimir effect to extract energy, some researchers are exploring its potential use in nanotechnology and microelectromechanical systems. However, further research and development is needed before it can be applied on a larger scale.

5. How do scientists address concerns about the feasibility and effectiveness of using the Casimir effect for energy extraction?

Scientists address concerns about the feasibility and effectiveness of using the Casimir effect for energy extraction by conducting experiments and simulations to test and validate their theories. They also consider potential limitations and drawbacks, and continue to research and improve upon the technology to make it more practical and efficient.