Are force carrier particles emitted by mass or created by fields?

In summary, The Higgs boson is expected to be detected at the LHC by concentrating energy in one place, causing the field to resonate and create the particle. The particle leaves a trace once created, but as virtual carrier particles make up the field, it may be difficult to find the Higgs boson.
clearwater304
My general understanding was that they were created by fields, which makes me wonder how the LHC plans to detect the higgs boson... but I could be wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
clearwater304 said:
My general understanding was that they were created by fields, which makes me wonder how the LHC plans to detect the higgs boson... but I could be wrong

My naive idea is that if one concentrates the right amount of energy in one place then the field resonates and creates the particle. It has always worked in the past.

Once created the particle leaves some trace. Many types of particle explode immediately.

In my opinion the carrier particles are the field. I have a question. If the field is made up of virtual carrier particles how do they expect to find the Higgs boson if it is a virtual particle?

1. What are force carrier particles?

Force carrier particles are particles that are responsible for carrying and mediating the fundamental forces of nature, including the electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, and gravitational force.

2. Are force carrier particles emitted by mass?

No, force carrier particles are not emitted by mass. They are created by fields, which are regions of space that have a specific physical property, such as an electric or magnetic field.

3. How are force carrier particles created by fields?

Force carrier particles are created when the corresponding field is excited by a particle interaction. For example, the photon, which is the force carrier particle for the electromagnetic force, is created when an electron and a positron interact and exchange energy.

4. Can force carrier particles be detected?

Yes, force carrier particles can be indirectly detected through particle interactions and their effects on other particles. For example, the W and Z bosons, which are the force carrier particles for the weak nuclear force, were first detected in high-energy particle collisions at the Large Hadron Collider.

5. How do force carrier particles contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Force carrier particles play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. They allow us to explain and predict the behavior of fundamental forces and interactions between particles, and have helped us develop the standard model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and forces of nature.