Spatial Cross Correlation help ly needed

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding spatial cross correlation and has been able to figure out temporal and auto correlation. They are seeking help and resources to better understand the concept.
Mr_Kitsch
Spatial Cross Correlation help urgently needed!

I am working on Cross Correlation at the moment with varying degrees of success. I have figured out how to do Cross and Auto Correlation but am lost tryng to understand spatial CC. I can't seem to find any helpful resources for what I am working on. I have a formula that doesn't do anything to explain what is going on. The formula is as follows:
ccfg(s) = ∫f(r).g(r+s) dr

If anyone can point me in the right direction or recommend some helpful resources I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

What seems to be the issue? Temporal and spatial correlations differ only in that the variable changes from t to x.

What is spatial cross correlation?

Spatial cross correlation is a statistical method used to measure the similarity between two spatial data sets. It calculates the degree of association between the two data sets at each location in space, and is commonly used in fields such as geography, ecology, and remote sensing.

How is spatial cross correlation calculated?

Spatial cross correlation is calculated by taking the product of the two data sets at each location in space, averaging these products, and then dividing by the standard deviations of the two data sets. This results in a correlation coefficient ranging from -1 to 1, with a higher value indicating a stronger positive correlation.

What is the difference between spatial cross correlation and spatial autocorrelation?

Spatial cross correlation measures the correlation between two different data sets, while spatial autocorrelation measures the correlation between a single data set at different locations in space. Spatial autocorrelation is used to detect patterns of spatial dependence within a single data set, while spatial cross correlation is used to compare two data sets.

How is spatial cross correlation used in scientific research?

Spatial cross correlation is commonly used in scientific research to investigate relationships between different spatial data sets. It can be used to identify areas of high spatial similarity or dissimilarity, as well as to test hypotheses about the relationships between variables in different locations.

What are some limitations of spatial cross correlation?

Some limitations of spatial cross correlation include the assumption of stationarity, which means that the correlation between two data sets is constant across all locations in space. This may not hold true in some cases. Additionally, spatial cross correlation does not take into account the directionality of the relationship between data sets, and can be affected by outliers in the data.