How to Design a Simple Two Floor Office Building with a Roof?

In summary: They are unsure of where to start and are asking for assistance with the structural design. It is suggested to start at the roof and work downwards, and to consider the weight of the roof when designing the top floor. It is also mentioned that the design may include two internal columns on each floor, and that there is no information about snow load provided.
chiku18
hello everyone

i have to design a simple two floor office building with roof.
i am very lost and confused and don't know where to start from.
can someone help?pleaseeee

concrete1page.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
chiku18 said:
hello everyone

i have to design a simple two floor office building with roof.
can someone help?pleaseeee

View attachment 41836

This looks like a static load and strengths of materials problem. You need to specify the type of beam foundation, floor slabs, exterior and internal columns, and roof to be self supporting for static loads only.

Define your roof and floors, calculate weights, If needed, define support beams to support roof and floors, then design columns to support those loads, then define foundation beams to support the full structure.

Hope that helps or somebody with more civil structural background can chime in. It also might help if you would tell us what level of education, statics, materials and math background you are working with.

chiku18 said:

Start at the roof and work downwards. You can't design the top floor till you know the weight of the roof it has to support.

AlephZero said:
Start at the roof and work downwards. You can't design the top floor till you know the weight of the roof it has to support.

That is more clear than what I wrote. Based on the nodaliztion in the drawing woud you agree that the design probably includes two internal columns on each floor?

NUCENG said:
That is more clear than what I wrote. Based on the nodaliztion in the drawing woud you agree that the design probably includes two internal columns on each floor?

yes i agree but how would i find the weight of full roof?
no load is given i can find the dead load

DL=150 lb/ft^3 x cross section

but i can't because its roof...should i just assume snow load?

Last edited:
NUCENG said:

u mean like this?

1.png

chiku18 said:
yes i agree but how would i find the weight of full roof?
no load is given i can find the dead load

DL=150 lb/ft^3 x cross section

but i can't because its roof...should i just assume snow load?

chiku18 said:
u mean like this?

View attachment 41864

No information in the problem definition about snow load so assume none.

Yes

1. What are the key factors to consider in concrete building design?

The key factors to consider in concrete building design include the type and quality of concrete, the structural requirements and load-bearing capacity, the environmental conditions, and the desired aesthetic and functional elements of the building.

2. How does the strength of concrete affect the design of a building?

The strength of concrete is a crucial factor in building design as it determines the structural integrity and load-bearing capacity of the building. The strength of concrete is influenced by factors such as the mix design, curing process, and environmental conditions, and must be carefully considered in the design to ensure the safety and durability of the building.

3. What are the different types of concrete used in building design?

There are several types of concrete used in building design, including traditional reinforced concrete, precast concrete, and post-tensioned concrete. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different building designs and applications.

4. How do environmental conditions impact concrete building design?

Environmental conditions such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to elements like water and chemicals can significantly affect the performance and durability of concrete in building design. Proper consideration and selection of materials and design techniques must be made to ensure the building can withstand these conditions.

5. What is the role of reinforcement in concrete building design?

Reinforcement, such as steel bars or fibers, is used in concrete building design to increase its tensile strength and resistance to cracking. The type and placement of reinforcement must be carefully considered in the design to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the building.